Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 27, 2006, 1:50 AM   #1

I have been shooting a lot in RAW, but it taxes my computer to the limit with the large file sizes. Not to mention the size of the files on my harddrive and backups. I have beentrying JPEG *** to see how it works out. My computer likes it a lot better. So far it seems ok if you have a pretty well exposed image, but you don't have near the latitude to work with you have in RAW.

Anyway, I read somewhere to set the camera image tonein the natural mode, saturation -1 and sharpness +1. My question is, was this for the DS or is it also recommended for the DL. I'm not sure that the DS and DL use the same JPEG software in the camera. Does anyone know? Iread somewherethe JPEG output improved in the DS2 and DL. I quess this brings up the question of JPEG quality in the new K100D also? I knowmany people swear by JPEG and get good pictures with it -Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:36 AM   #2

I believe that the *istDS does less in camera processing than the *istDL leaving softer images.

Personally, I would leave the sharpness settings etc on default & post process using USM to boost the sharness.

RAW images come out at nominally 10M & when converted into JPG by the Pentax Photolab software can also be 10M so there's not much potential saving there if you used RAW to generate JPG, then ditched the RAW.

What I find surprising is that you say your computer struggles with RAW images.

Whilst my aging Athlon 2G 512M is no top of the range PC, it copes quite well, albeit the processor is running flat out when converting RAW into JPEG.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:06 PM   #3

Everyone who shoots JPG will have different preferences, of course, but with my DS2I like using Saturation 0, Sharpness +1, and Contrast -1, with Natural Image Tone. It gives me a good image with some latitude to do minor tweaking later.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the Pentax JPG quality. The biggest problem I have, personally, is when I use the wrong WB setting, it can be hard to get back to what I want with a JPG vs. RAW.

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:13 PM   #4

bper wrote:
Quote:
I have been shooting a lot in RAW, but it taxes my computer to the limit with the large file sizes. Not to mention the size of the files on my harddrive and backups. I have beentrying JPEG *** to see how it works out. My computer likes it a lot better. So far it seems ok if you have a pretty well exposed image, but you don't have near the latitude to work with you have in RAW.
Convert PEF to DNG. You'll end up with 5MB per picture instead of 10MB of PEF. PEFs from my DS never reach hard drive, I convert them to DNG right from SD card. the only disadvantage of DNG is that some raw converters doesn't support it. However as long as Silkypix and RawShooter support DNG I don't care

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
What I find surprising is that you say your computer struggles with RAW images.
Well, it depends on RAW converter you're using. While RawShooter would run quick on any 2-3 years old PC, Current Adobe Lightroom will struggle on 3GHZ CPU and 1GB RAM system...

--
Edvinas
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:27 PM   #5

i've found the same thing to be true since upgrading to cs2. i'm really thinking about reverting back to cs. cs2 just takes way to much of the resources i have at AMD3200, 64bit, 728meg of ram.. it's really slow and 'bridge' is even slower..
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:02 PM   #6

I'm not a computer expert, but I think the problem may be more with the video card then the computer itself. TIFF files from a Pentax can be as large as 33mb each if you save in 16 bit. I realize you don'tkeep these once you convert to jpg, but it slows thing down. This is only going to get worse as we get 10 - 12 mb cameras.

I'm justnot sure I want to give up the quality I can get usingRAW and switch to JPEG. I guess I was looking for input from people who shoot both ways and how they compare. One thing about it,it's to late to change your mind after you shoot the picture. One thing Iam aware ofis that in JPEG you actually compress twice, once in the camera and once when you save it after you crop andadjust in your software. Using raw, you only need to compress once for your finishedimage- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:27 PM   #7

I shoot 90% jpg and do little to process the image other than a small amount of USM with my DS. I find RAW to be more of a pain than it is worth most of the time, since I have to PP all RAW images and they really are not that much sharper if at all than my jpg images.

Most of the time I can't see the difference between RAW and jpg other than the file size. If your lighting is in question, RAW is the only way to go just in case you guessed wrong.

Photoshop DS2 and Bridge are both memory hogs and I find CS much faster, but CS2 has some features I like, so I normally use it anyway.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:36 AM   #8

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I shoot 90% jpg and do little to process the image other than a small amount of USM with my DS. I find RAW to be more of a pain than it is worth most of the time, since I have to PP all RAW images and they really are not that much sharper if at all than my jpg images.
Well, judge yourself. I've made all these pictures a couple of days ago. Brick wall, losseless 100% crops and recompress JPEG with 90% compression.

JPEG bright mode:

JPEG natural mode:

RAW (with RawShooter):

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:51 AM   #9

I see very little difference between the first jpg and the RAW file other than color.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:28 AM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
i've found the same thing to be true since upgrading to cs2. i'm really thinking about reverting back to cs. cs2 just takes way to much of the resources i have at AMD3200, 64bit, 728meg of ram.. it's really slow and 'bridge' is even slower..

Roy

I have a P-4 3.2 and 1 gig of RAM and Since i also Enjoy playing an Occassional FPS game i have a rather Game oriented Video card With 256 Meg of RAM.

I will Agree that Since i got CS2 it is Marginally Slower, than i am used to. However i have been demoing l"Lightroom" and even With my system It drags it Down.

Still Not sure How i like"Lightroom".I find myself Still going back to Rawshooter.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote