Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:03 AM   #1

Well, it seems that Pentax WILL be offering the new software based on the Silkypix raw engine to all D Series owners. Release date: 08/08.

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/news...060727-01.html

The software manual is available for download at the Pentax USA website.

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:20 AM   #2

That is good news. BUT...I hate the Pentax browser. It is slow to use, the viewing of a single image is slow and tedious, limited adjustments. The image quality is good but just tedious.

I downloaded Silkypix....which I really really like...and after the free trial you can still browse photos and make basic changes and save in all formats. You loose advanced color controls, printing and cropping but it does everything the Pentax does a billion times faster and easier.

Right now if I had to buy a raw converter it would be Silkypix. Though if you were a pro it seems clunky. But for an amateur who wants to tweek individual photos real fast and get great results...Silkypix is the best for Pentax.

RSP is dead...loved the interface but reds and greens were off.
Bibble just didn't produce the quality that any of the other converters did
C1 seemed limited on what it could do for images. Took longer to tweek than Silkypix, perhaps better shadow detail and definition than Silky but Silky had more fine control.
Lightroom...so far produces excellent Pentax photos. But...still what still 6+ months away it is too slow and a hog right now and still will be probably.
Don't have any Adobe stuff other than PS7.
corvairfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:27 PM   #3

derbunk wrote:
Quote:
Well, it seems that Pentax WILL be offering the new software based on the Silkypix raw engine to all D Series owners. Release date: 08/08.
Good news.

corvairfan wrote:
Quote:
RSP is dead...loved the interface but reds and greens were off.
Yep, RSP needs Colour Engine to produce accurate colours, especially red. Without CE it's somewhat orange instead of red.

BTW, Adobe killed RSP and it is not possible to buy it anymore, do you think is it ethical to use it illegally?

--
Edvinas
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:00 AM   #4

I don't think it is illegal to still use it (unless you got it illegally to begin with). You hold a legal license to the software whether or not the company still supports it or even exists.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:35 AM   #5

Edvinas wrote:
Quote:
corvairfan wrote:
BTW, Adobe killed RSP and it is not possible to buy it anymore, do you think is it ethical to use it illegally?
Who's gonna know anyway!!
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:15 PM   #6

Rob22315 wrote:
Quote:
I don't think it is illegal to still use it (unless you got it illegally to begin with). You hold a legal license to the software whether or not the company still supports it or even exists.
The thing is that I was on the verge of buying RSP whent Adobe ate RawShooter.

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Who's gonna know anyway!!
My conscience will know!
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote