Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:27 PM   #11
TDN

I'm afraid I'm with mntgal on this one, The tree separates the photo as it is. If you had left the person and bench in black & white, it would have created a very interesting split image.

This is what I meant with "overdo it".

The second one is really nice idd, the brown of the chair fits into the b&w very naturally.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:41 AM   #12

Another way is to do a mask which is the best way really as you can add or subtract a mask, you can I suppose "undo" if you erase too much.

Either way it still gets the same result.

Ira, I like the wedding hands pic...excellent.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:39 AM   #13

Thanks for all of these ya'll. I can see that learning to use the camera is only going to be the first step. I picked up Paint Shop Pro for my wife last week, along with PSP for Photographers book. I am looking forward to trying to experiment along these lines. Thanks for explaining the techniques used.

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:20 PM   #14

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Ira, I like the wedding hands pic...excellent.
Me to!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 8:12 PM   #15

You know, I have been back to look at this page probably a dozen times since ya'll posted these pictures. My camera research was supposed to be for my wife (She says "I think I would like better camera" My ears hear "I want you to spend the next three months researching options and camera prices") but I am starting to think this camera may not technically be hers. Crashman, I have dragged about six people to look at the picture of the reenactor. If I had created that photograph it probably be a framed poster size print on the most prominent living room wall (maybe next to a vase of poppies and a Lest We Forget title).

I boughtmy wifePrint Shop Pro X a little while ago, I hope the same effect can be created with that program. Thank you again for sharing your talent ya'll.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:25 PM   #16

Can I play again?

I like the way the bride actually looks three dimensional but the bridesmaids look like they could be just a two dimensional backdrop.

NonEntity 1, Paint Shop Pro X is a good choice which can do these effects with a little experimentation.
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:13 PM   #17

Thanks Monza. It is a very cool effect in the bride's picture. Knowing brides and the dresses they choose for their maids, I wonder how many wish they could make the actual bridesmaids themselves black and white for the wedding :-). Monza, I take it you shoot weddings professionally? I have not seen any wedding albums that compare to the ones you have shared.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:21 PM   #18

I like the way it pops out the main subject like the bride with her maids.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:29 PM   #19

Monza, I actually think that the bride pic might be better if the bridesmaid were still coloured but just desaturated a bit to give the bride MORE colour in comparison. Though I do think what you have done is very good.

I am thinking we might start a challenge thread where we post one pic (full size) or at least access to download the pic and everyone has a go at doing some PP effects on it.

The winner gets to post the next one and so on. Only stipulation is that the pic used has to be a pic taken by the winner. One submission per user and and all images upon submission are to be reduced to 1/3 original size (cuts down on page loading time)

What do you guys/gals think?

monza, I didn't want to hijack the thread and if this kicks off we shall start a new thread.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:35 PM   #20

Crashman, sounds like fun.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote