Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:06 PM   #1
TDN

I tried something unorthodox the other day...I for one like the result. I was wondering what you guys think:

http://www.tdn9.be/photo.php?id=16

(sorry, I'm not copy-pasting 14 links...)

I'm expecting positive as well as negative reactions, so let's hear 'em

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:20 PM   #2

great practice,, it teaches you, how, so you can use it when some actual content is there. there is a lot more in these that you could have used.

roy
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:49 PM   #3

I am not sure if you added some grain or shot at high ISO, they look a little grainy, but I think that is quite right for the black and white images.

I like your shots, especially the ones with the girls with the nice ...........scarves..:lol:

I am assuming you created a second layer, reduced colour/saturation on that layer and then erased the area to allow the colour background to come through? That is how I did this one.

Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:52 PM   #4

I've never thought about doing a second layer and erasing what you want in color - I've done the same thing by selecting what I wanted in color and desat the background. Your way sounds like it might be easier when dealing with complex shapes.

I've seen selective desaturation used very effectively, even though I've had only had success with one photo/sceneusing it. I think it can be over-done so easily to be really effective, or used without a focus. Just my opinion, but its a difficult technique that is hard to pull off, but can be outstanding. I gather that the wrist bands were significant?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:47 AM   #5
TDN

I did it exactly like crashman said, it's the easiest and safest way. (you don't even edit the original layer that way)

I know there's some more color I could have brought out in some pictures, but I was trying not to overdo it, as they might look "cheaper" that way.

TDN

P.S.: crashman, I really like that one, brings out the subject really nicely
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:11 AM   #6

Nice work, here is one of my best results at selective colour:

For a wedding album cover.

Ira

And this one just for fun:

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:48 AM   #7

another way i did it with a second layer was copied a b&w copy over the color and then just erased the top layer where I wanted the color to come through
Attached Images

Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:24 PM   #8

First one...
Attached Images

PhotoMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:25 PM   #9

Second one. Can someone tell me how to attach more than one photo in a single post?
Attached Images

PhotoMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:36 PM   #10

To attach more than one photo to a post requires the photo to be hosted on another platform (photobucket or the like) that allows linking - not all photo hosting websites allow that.

I'm terrible when it comes to artistic interpretation and composition- but if you want a not very good opinion costing you absolutely nothing - on the first one I probably would have left the person in b&w - with his head down I think that showing how drab he sees the world vs. the lovely color of the garden. I think that with him in color you lose a sense of what you want to say. Feel free, anyone,to tell me that I'm way off on this, or that wasn't what you had in mind - I'm certainly not an expert in this type of thing!

The second one is nicely done.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote