Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:40 PM   #1

I have reade about people buying lenses and growing fungus and having lenses with dust in them.

If a lens was disassembled (not that I am considering doing it myself) I know the dust could be removed, but can fungus be removed from a lens or does that affect the coatings and is there coatings on every element?

That is what is referred to in my trade as a complex multilple question and should be avoided...:-)
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:36 AM   #2

I have just bought a box of lenses and a K1000 on an on-line auction.

The camera seems to be OK now that I have cleaned it up a bit and most of the lenses look good too, all except a Vivitar 75-205 1:3.8 macro focusing zoom. The big issue is fungus.

No mystery about how the lens got fungus, it's case smells like it has been kept in a swamp!

OK, working on the principle that with about 60% of the object lens covered in tendrils there would be little to loose by taking that lens out I proceeded to do so.

I used iso propal alcohol and wiped that fungus clean off, there was a bit of an impression left on the coating so I gave it another gentle rubbing, not too much but I have to look really hard now to see that pattern of the fungus.

What now? Even screwing the lens back in looks like a challenge and maybe I should have an expert do that as a small screwdriver is hardly the right tool for the job.

I can see more fungus right inside on the moving elements and a rather nasty patch behind the rear element but I cant see a way to get that one out. I will see what the repairman says when I show it to him.

BTW, how do Vivitar lenses rank among the hierachy of brands? I carried the lens around today on the K1000 that came in the same box and I rather like the feel of it plus it appears practical for hand held use.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:40 AM   #3

I love my 400mm and 200mm Vivitar primes.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:56 AM   #4
TDN

Vivitar mainly got a lot of prestige thanks to their "series 1", which where very high quality lenses. I believe they were one of the first to give a telezoom actual macro power.

As for your fungus, is it visible in the photos? otherwise I would just leave it. I have some light fungus in an old tokina for nikon I have, and I let a friend of mine use it on his D70s last week, didn't even notice it in the pics.

My advice would be: if you really want to keep the lens then it's gonna cost you some money to have it cleaned by a professional.

If it's not that important to you, you could either try it yourself or leave it as it is...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:36 PM   #5

Thanks TDN, I got the object lens screwed back in OK, it is only finger tight but wont fall out. It is Satruday here already and the weather is great so I will be taking it for a test run today on my *istDS. I took about a dozen yesterday on the K1000 that came with it, at least I will have something to compare especially as the object lens was by far the worst effected although the rear lens is pretty bad too, I will be asking an expert about how to clean that one.

Yes, this Vivitaris a maco zoom, it seems a pity to put it in the bin especially as it must have cost someone a pretty penny in its day.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote