Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:53 PM   #11

So, after reading Sarahs positive news about the K100D, I've got a question that is important for me, living so far from the sun (often have to shoot in low-light conditions). Will the K10D have a pentaprism viewfinder, or is such a device history from now on?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 5:42 PM   #12

Kjell-

It is a nice bright Viewfinder. However, I will have to check the documentation to be sure. It seems to me that I recall reading somewhere that it is a penta mirror system. I will let you know.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:33 PM   #13

Kjell, I don't know if you have tried a DL, it has a penta mirror. Compared with the DS I used last fall it may actually be a little brighter, however the DS has better contrast and slightly more magnification. (the DL is way ahead of the rest of the entry level pack but the DS ranks with the high end models). In low light the DS has very little advantage over the DL, penta prisms are still better but the gap is far less, my MZ-7 viewfinder is very poor compared to the DL (neither could touch my old ME Super).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 2:08 PM   #14

Crashman-

There was a good deal of speculation over in the Pentax DSLR forum on dpreview this morning about how the K100D is supposedly the replacement for the DL, while the next to be announced, the K10D, I believe, will be the DS replacement. Any thoughts?

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:38 PM   #15
TDN

No, they forgot about the K110D, the version that doesnt have the SR. Thát is the upgrade for the DL, while the K100D is the upgrade for the DS, according to me at least.

With the K10D and K1D Pentax is trying to reach higher up into the digital market, to get closer to the level Canon and Nikon have aquired in the more professional market.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:49 PM   #16

I think the debate over "replacement" is the wrong way to look at it. There is simply evolution of the cameras with the intent to provide cameras for ALL levels of users and budgets.

I think the K110D is the base model now (6.1mp) and believe that the success of the K100 (6.1mp) will cause the K110D model to go out of producion.

It is all about economy of scale and evolving technology. Ultimately all the Pentax models and might I add, other brands, will have some form of SR.

The K100D will be the only 6.1mp camera for pentax until MP get bigger, remember the early days with 640x480 resolution digitals and how far they have come. I bought my first digital back in 1997 Ricoh DC-3.

The K10d will be 10.2 mp so in the MP department it is up there with the D200. As for performance and features, well that we will have to see.

The fact that it will be a Samsung chip will be interesting, it could push Pentax right out in front. If they use the same in-camera processing the K100D has got (and we are all seeing the new images) then the K10d's pics will be awesome.

If it has SR, then I think N*k*n will be wetting themselves. I KNOW that N*k*n have approached Sigma to help them design a new camera because (believe it or not) falling sales in there N*k*n line up, who would have guessed!!

The K1D is Pentax's superbody camera and if my contact is right, then we can expect 12-14mp range will all the fruit, it may not be up there with the D2X, or then again it may be, I have no info onthis camera at all (other than full body 12-14mp range).

Everyone ooohh'd and aaah'd when we heard that Pentax was teaming up with Samsung. Looks like this could have been the best thing for Pentax and we might all end up very happpy campers.

Remeber "economy of scale", Pentax right now is small, if we sell a HUGE amount of cameras then you can expect lens manufactures to start producing more pentax mount lenses and hopefully some longer ones too.

Roll on the next few weeks and lets look at the K10D, then roll on Photokina and lets lok at what comes out of Pentax for the K1D.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:17 PM   #17

am i the only one that gets confused with the names?
110D, 100D 10D,1D????

why couldnt they pick different names

i sure am looking forward to seeing these new models come out

regardless of what they are called
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:31 AM   #18

I think the references go back to the K1000 and away from the *ist, which was not a popular naming choice.

C goes Eos 350 up to the Eos 30D, 5D and 1D
N goes 200D up to D2 series
O goes E500 up to E1

I can't see why Pentax can't start at K100D and progress up to K1D, seems logical to me considering that this is the tend by the other manufacturers to reduce the number as they increase the model specs.

Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:59 PM   #19

We seem to forget Samsung is playing too.

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/336/C7988/

I would think that this is what the K10D will look like, based on the fact that the GX1 was a clone of the DL, I expect the GX2 to be a clone of the K10D.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:54 AM   #20

Crashman-

I guess that link isjust a bit of alittle "teaser."

Now that you have us all wondering a bit, please clue us in, won't you, please?

Sarah