Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:12 AM   #21

Is it another Samsung CMOS imager, rather than a Sony Brand Imager?

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:39 PM   #22

I only found that link by luck. They were talking about the leaked photos of the new N*k*n D80 on the web and went to have a look. I then decided to do a search for K10D and that link came up.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:18 PM   #23
TDN

sjeesh, I had to find this on page 2...we're our of control! :lol:

Crash, that is what it will look like.

I got bored tonight and decided to do a little googling on the K10D
(well actually on the K1D but I didn't find anything...)

Now I came across this:

Have you guys seen these?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma2006/Pentax/
Pictures from the Pentax prototypes!!!

Now that body looks exactly like the samsung crash linked earlier.

(bigger pic in that link)

Then I found this:

http://www.mail-archive.com/pentax-d...msg335871.html

Appearantly this guy has inside information

Things I noticed:

- A shutter speed dial on the front of the grip!!! That's one of the things I was hoping for

- On the back, at the lower right corner of the lcd, you can see a little switch. Could that be the Shake Reduction switch?

A guy on a french forum did a little comparison with the K100D, based on the size of the lcd screen:

According to the rumours on dpreview, the press release should be scheduled for september 13th and the price would be around 899$ body + lens, which is way cheaper than the N* D200 or C* 30D!

This looks like a real step up for Pentax, and if they continue that trend into the K1D, then I'll be very happy!

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:57 PM   #24

Crashman and TDN,Sorry about the late response on this... I don't frequent this forum much.The K10D is going to have to bring a lot more to the table then simply 10 MP to compete with the D200 instead of the D80 and the A100.* The price tag for the D200 is getting you a lot of things like weather sealing, better shutter mechanisms, VF, good FPS, mag body, etc... etc...The 10 MP is nice but even 8 MP chip can stand up to it just fine depending on its imaging characteristics. A good example is the Kodak 1.3x 10MP chip that lacia uses which compares very well with the Canon 5Ds 12 MP chip.I think its a little early to be expecting them to attack the really high end market.* They need to prove themselves with a D200 level body and their two new 2.8 pro lenses first then I can see a D2X level body making sense.* The 645D will also gain them more acceptance among professionals which should help the rest of their DSLR line develop.I see a very bright future for Pentax, I just don't expect them to get it all together in the next 4 months.**That all said I am going to be the first inline for the K1D or the K10D which ever ones is the actual competition to the D200.
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 3:51 AM   #25

I agree, my comment about the protoype 6mp K1 that was shelved was about the impact it might have made on professional photographers going over to digital when these sorts of cameras were first coming out.

I think the K10D will be an interesting camera and until it actually hits the shelves we have little to no info (other than sensor size and make and actual camera name).

The pics of the Samsung have a note saying that the camera and specs might change and that image is getting a bit old now, swho really knows.

The D200 has some aspects that are hard to fault, and if Pentax addresses those in the K10D then it might put the wind up N*k*n, if it also has SR, then I think there wil be a lot of newcomers to Pentax.

I don't envisage N owners changing camp, we are all loyal to our brand, but new buyers when confronted with two cameras with the same MP and one has SR and one doesn't sometimes faster FPS and weather Sealing might not be the deal breaker.

Remember the new to digital SLR buyers are more likely tp be your P&S crowd updating and they are used to SR. Only itme will tell and fingers crossed.

I am amazed though at the sometimes lack lustre attitude towards the new K100D by some camera shops I have visited.

Totally one eyed towards N, but we all have our faultsand we are all one eyed towards Pentax here.:lol::lol:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:15 PM   #26

I found this just then on the dpreview forum. I'm sure other members have too, but I figured I'd post a link for it.

How awesome does that sound!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=19622623

Discuss.

:-)

Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:26 AM   #27
TDN

A 10MP DSLR at under a 1000$, that'd sure stir the market up

If it has SR that would be one heck of a stunt!

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:51 PM   #28

TDN wrote:
Quote:
A 10MP DSLR at under a 1000$, that'd sure stir the market up

If it has SR that would be one heck of a stunt!

TDN
Doesn't Sony already have a 10mp Dslr with SR on the market at under $1000? I am not promoting Sony, heck, I just ordered a K100, but I would think that Pentax really needs to aim to meet that price point. The two reviews posted on the Sony have been generally favorable. The talk in the Minolta/Sony forums has been less so, but, when I went back further it appeared that many of the Minolta fans were ready to hate Sony even before the camera was released. I dunno, the Alpha was the other contender (along with the ist DL) when I was camera shopping but the K100 won out.

Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:16 PM   #29

Tim -

I am on your side. That Sony 10+mp CMOS imager used in their new Alpha has had more than a few problems with noise. In fact, Company S had to delete the ISO 3200 setting that was available on both the KM 5D and 7D previously due to noise problems. It will be interesting to see what happens to Company N when the professional reviews of their new D-80 hitsthe streets. Frankly, I would just prefer to stay with the 6mp CMOS sensor and not have to be fighting noise all the time.

For what it might be worth, here is a photo of the "supposed to be" K10D that appeared over on the www.dpreview.com Pentax SLR forum. Notice that the photo shows a command dial on the front under the shutter release button.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:42 PM   #30

I like the idea of a camera with better handling, more buttons to avoid all the menu issues. I would have preferred a D to the DL I have for that reason. I am not willing to give up image "quality" for pixel "quantity" however. I am not impressed with the noise results posted in Popular Photography magazine for the A100, the ISO 3200 on the Pentax models is actually lower noise than the ISO 800 on the Sony (in their tests).

I know that marketing being what it is Pentax will have to offer more resolution on any up market model, which means wait and see what the results will be. My DL has paid for itself already, I don't need more lenses, so now I am saving for the second camera body. The K100D is in my sights now but a reasonably priced K10D (Nikon D80 range) with good ISO performance may be in my future.

Time and testing will tell.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote