Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:29 AM   #1

I spoke with my man today and he was quite excited. "Pentax is back in the game" he kept saying to me.

They just started selling the K100 and he was surprised at the difference between the DL and the K100. I had a play and I was quite impressed with the SR myself. He said the K100's were selling themselves.

"Now....about the K10" I asked him.....He said the rep had been in last week and discussed the camera with an expected release date of two weeks from now!!!
He said it appeared more rounded in the finish and had less sharp edges across the top, the right hand side grip is deeper too. (The rep showed him photos of the K10 )

Still confirming that it is a 10.2 Samsung chip. He said he could not see any SR switch on the K10 camera :O:O

Said Photokina would be the release of the other camera?? (Not the 645 18mp format, I confirmed that much with him)

This will be 12mp maybe more, this will be the semi-pro camera (he called it the "super body" before and now refers to it as a "Hero" camera????) Possibly maybe might be called the K1 or K1D.

Thats all the goss and I have no more. I will now wait like everybody else for the next two weeks and Photokina to see if he is right or I am passing on rumours.

Crash

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:10 AM   #2
TDN

This wouldn't be an unlogical move from pentax.

If there's one thing Pentax doesn't have yet it's a DSLR for the professional market. All they have now is prosumers.

The K110D and K100D are the logical successors of the DS and DL.

My guess is that the K10D will try to compete with Canon's 30D and Nikon's D200.

And that means they still need a competitor for the Eos 1D/5D from canon and the infamous Nikon D2X. Now talk about a though assignment...I hope that "K1D" can do that...

I personally would be most interested in the K10D. If it becomes a worthy opponent for the 30D and D200 then that means in a few years I can upgrade from my DL to a semi-professional camera without having to stop eating for a month

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:08 PM   #3

Check this message. Roland Mabo usually has a lot of inside information.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19358354

Now about SR. I think it should be in all future Pentax DSLRs. They spent a lot of money developing it, now they have it ready. As K100D anfd K110D price difference shows, SR isn't expensive .

It would be more than strange if they wouldn't incorporate such excellent feature in other coming DSLRs.

--
Edvinas
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:26 AM   #4

I apologise for my bad spelling

Laba dinas

I think because the SR in Pentax uses the edge of the sensor and the new 10.2mp sensor is different to the 6.1mp they can't fit it in...I don't know. We will just have to wait and see.

Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:06 AM   #5

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I apologise for my bad spelling

Laba dinas

I think because the SR in Pentax uses the edge of the sensor and the new 10.2mp sensor is different to the 6.1mp they can't fit it in...I don't know. We will just have to wait and see.

Laba diena Where have you learned that?!

Let's hope they'll manage to fit SR into K10D. If it'll be less than $1000 (US) probably I'll go for it.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:14 AM   #6

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/John/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]cool
so where in Perth can i find one ?

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:43 AM   #7

I don't think Pentax will go after the real high in the near future. There product line from what I can determine lookslike this:

K100D vs. D50, E330etc.

K10D vs. D80, 350XT etc. (So this will be the fabled DS Replacement)

K1D vs. D200/30D

??? vs. D2H level
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:22 PM   #8

Edvinas

My ex-wife's father is Lithuanian/German /Russian, born in Lithuania, moved to Dresden during the war to avoid the communists, not a good idea it seemed when they got bombed big time, he lost his mother in the bombing.

Emigrated to Australia back in the 50's.

Crash

Pic_*ist, I don't know why you would think the K10D (10.2mp) would be matched against the Canon (8mp) and not as a direct comparison to the D200 line.

From what I am to undertand the K1D will be a larger sensor than the D200, possibly a 12 or 14mp sensor. I agree it will probably not be put up as competition against the D2, but I don't think that that is their marketing strategy. If both the K1 and K10 have in camera SR and it is goig to be as good as the K100's then I think Pentax is going to kick a lot of butt.

Crash

Gumnut, you will be like me, looking for the first store to put one on their shelves. :G

Crash

Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:03 PM   #9
TDN

Yeah pic_*ist, I think you're underestimating the Pentax's.

On paper your comparisons may make sense, but in reality Pentax can hold his own amongst the world of nikons and canons.

I've worked together with some photographers a few weeks back, their cameras were: Nikon D50, D70s, and Canon 350D's. And I can tell you, my *ist DL did not do any worse than the D50 and maybe even de D70s and 350D, all cameras of about 500$ more expensive than my camera.

Even more: none of them could stand up to my high sensitivity noise levels. Since we shot a lot of concerts, a real advantage when you can shoot at 3200 and have that extra shutter speed!

Ok, sharpnesswise & exposurewise you can say the nikons and canons gave better (automatic) results, but if you know your camera it only takes a little tweaking to get it up to the same level. Although I must say the Rebel XT had a slight advantage.

Now with the new K100D and K110D I think Pentax's competition with the D50/D70 and Rebel XT range is sealed. These cameras are the successors of the DS and DL.

I am confident the K10D will be a worthy competitor against the D200 and 30D.

Now for the K1D, I have no idea. Going up against a Nikon D2X or a Canon 1D is a very steep slope. You're talking about the best professional cameras to day here.

I'll be glad if Pentax takes a shot at the professional digital market, of which they'll be able to learn a lot, and that experience will automatically reflect itself on future prosumer cameras.

One thing I've learned from my DL, is that it's a lot better in practice than on paper.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:03 AM   #10

i got my DS from a Hi Fi store
so thats more places to go looking

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote