Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 2, 2006, 5:07 PM   #21

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Ira that IS the best advise - run away. But sometimes you just cannot. When asked i always say NO! Until the arm-twisting starts. A couple of years ago I had to do a wedding for a niece and I was scared s***less. But, they liked the results - I didn't. They couldn't afford a photographer with experience - so I did it.
I just shot my sisters wedding Saturday and scared s***less pretty much sums it up. When they first asked I said no, these are once in a lifetime photos, you need a pro. Unfortunately they couldn't afford one so in the end I gave in.

When doing the formals of all the pictures I could have forget it was one of the bride and groom. Luckily we shot formals at several outdoor locations of her choosing and I made sure I got shots of the bride and groom.

As in your case the bride and groom loved the pictures, but I know they could have been better. For instance at the reception with the low white ceiling I should have bounced the flash.

Here is a link to the pictures if anyone is interested:

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/KennyJr/Wedding/

KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 5:37 PM   #22

Kenny-

All of your wedding photos look very good. You should be proud of them. I have done weddings and they are indeed a challenge. We all learn by doing.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:04 PM   #23

Thanks Sarah, but there are areas I could have improved on. I printed a bunch of pictures after the wedding and put together a little album for Beth and Josh and everyone at the wedding loved them. Of course they weren't looking at it from the perspective of a photographer. I did gain a lot of resect for those who do this for a living.

First I should have never forgot to take a picture of the bride and groom during the formals. It is, after all,what the day is all about. Luckily I shot enough pictures of the bride and groom during the course of theday.

This picture could have been composed better. I should have shot landscape and had them off to the left a little. This was one of their favorites just the same.

In this shot I blew the highlights inLiz's dress. I should have had Liz and Josh switch places so he was in the sun or had them stand back a few feet so they were in the shade.

In this shot I should have zoomed in a little more and left out the exit sign and roaster, but I cropped it later before I printed it so no harm done.

Just a bunch of little things like that. I didn't make these mistakes when I shot my niece, Misty's,wedding, but then she had a "pro", and I use that term lightly in his case, so I was under no pressure.

KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:27 PM   #24

Nice work KennyJr

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 7:20 AM   #25

We learn by learning not by mistakes (or thru others' mistakes.

Heck, I don't pretend to be a good photographer, let alone a wedding photographer.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 7:51 AM   #26

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
We learn by learning not by mistakes (or thru others' mistakes.

Heck, I don't pretend to be a good photographer, let alone a wedding photographer.

So true. One more hint. When I talk to the family (usually parents are very involved, not just the couple) I point out to them that shots leading up to, during the service and immediately after are a hit-or-miss thing. Some clergy will not allow any pictures during the solemn service and they must be re-enacted for pictures. Some churches are physically a problem with too many things in the way of a good shot. That is why I make no promises about these pictures and concentrate on the posed shots before and after. Also, get rid of as many kids and relatives as fast as you can in the posed shots so you have removed the major distractions and can concentrate on the couple. Last Saturday I was just taking one of the posed shots with the studio flash units when someone fired their little digital compact camera, of course their flash fired my studio strobes and I ended up with a nearly black exposure. This is where you have to be firm but polite and point out to all present that they are causing a problem by doing this (explaining why helps, they then understand the issue and don't go away thinking you are just being a jerk). The bride should have someone to help keep makeup fresh if possible, it saves a lot of post processing to remove the shine later.

Wedding photography is like piloting an aircraft, you need to log lots of hours before you are competent with it. The fear of crashing and burning is also there in both:G. I have probably do 30 to 40 weddings over the past 20 years so I haven't logged enough hours for real confidence yet.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote