Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:25 AM   #1

I am somewhat new to Photography world, I do a lot of research, I never buy without trying but this one thing I need some expert advice:

I would like thoughts and opinions of these lenses:

Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG Macro

Sigma 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 DG MACRO

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro

I need a lense in the X - 200/300 range. From the research I have read the tamron and sigma seem to be the two players.

My type of Photography ranges from candid shoots at parties to nature photography, occasionally some sport photography. I would like to spend less than $600 on this paticular lense so I will make this an open forum hoping people will share the personal favorite lenses in this range.

If any more info is needes let me feel free to ask... I just don't want to purchase something I regret.

Thanks in advance

kmc512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:49 PM   #2

I've got the Tamron 28-300mm andgotten somegood shots out of it. Although sometimes it's slow to autofocus or hunts longer than expected to find the focus.(I'll switch to manual focus and there ya go!)

In spite of that,was theTamron 28-300mmlensa good purchase ? For what I paid for, yes it was. no regrets at all.

NOTE: I must say that whenI'm close to mysubject I'd rather use the 18-55mm kit lens to get a wider shot if need be.

Later,

Rick

Mourrri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:51 PM   #3

Welcome to the Forum

My vote is for the Sigma 70-300 APO DG. Great price and for the money takes great pictures. if you would like to see some pictures i took With it check out this thread

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Good luck with what ever you Choose

BK

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:09 PM   #4
TDN

Wow, did you just say that you're willing to pay about 500$ on a lens in the 200-300 range?

Well, that's a lot of money. If I were you I wouldn't buy the lens in a shop. With that wallet you can do golden business on ebay...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:24 PM   #5
TDN

I cked a little, there's a lot more on there...

Sigma 70-200 exactly 600$, top of the line, but in my book this is too expensive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160011863140

Tokina AT-X Pro, I would go with this...looks excellent with a nice pricetag. I plan on getting the 28-70 from this range one of these days myself. Tokina is a very decent lens building company. My manual SZ-X has given me nothing but joy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120013316517

Anyway, I would check out ebay if I were you. I would also not spend 600$. You can find very decent, and I mean VERY decent gear in the 150$ - 400$ range.

Heck, if you go with manual focus, you cna find a good everyday zoom for below 100$.

I've always found it a shame spending a fortune on a lens, it's never worth it.
I'd like some confirmation from more experienced members on this forum, but I would seriously consider that Tokina AT-X Pro range.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:41 PM   #6

I have the Sigma 28-300 and this lens requires a tripod on the 300 end of its capabilities. With the new K100D and its SR this may not be a problem but for the DL it is. This lens is also quite heavy and for this reason I keep my Sigma 18-125 on my DL. The 18-125 is a great lens. I have been thinking more and more about the Pentax 50-200, I hear nothing but good things about this lens.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:47 PM   #7

rritter-

I use the Pentax 50-200mm a lot and I really like it a lot. Here is a handheld photo at the 200mm end.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:56 PM   #8

THanks for the responses everyone... I am going to check out ebay... I will get back with my final Choice...
kmc512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:27 PM   #9

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Welcome to the Forum

My vote is for the Sigma 70-300 APO DG.* Great price and for the money takes great pictures.* if you would like to see some pictures i took With it check out this thread

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=98331&forum_id=80

Good luck with what ever you Choose

BK

"*

*How is the auto focus speed on this lens?

jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote