Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:27 PM   #1

My heart wants to get a K100D. I love the idea of old lenses, stabilization in the camera, a big viewfinder and AA batteries. However, I need a walkaround lens. Pentax informed me they would not be making an equivalent of the Nikon 18-200 f/3.5, and they don't even seem to have a current 28-200 model, at least not that I can find anywhere. Are they shooting themselves in the foot? I don't like what I've read about lousy autofocus of the Tamron and Sigma equivalents. Am I missing something?

Also, if I do get a K1000, what is the best reasonably priced used lens for bird photography?

Thanks in advance,

f
fogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:47 PM   #2

Ken Rockwell says "It's a miracle! I bought mine in November 2005 and love it. It's replaced most of my other lenses." $899.95

Other reviews:

Significant light fall off or vignetting on the shots taken at 200mm with the lens wide open at f5.6. Nikon said it was normal. Since the lens is made for the smaller DX sensor the diameter of the lens is smaller. This causes mechanical shadowing at long zoom lengths with the lens at the wide open settings of f5.6 until about f11.

Pincushin distortion very highly pronounced all the way from 18 to 70mm

Tom

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:31 AM   #3

Ken Rockwell?????
give me a break!!!!!!
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:30 AM   #4

Exactly!!!
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:51 AM   #5

Can any lens manufacturer actually produce such a wide range zoom that would render all other lens superfluous - I doubt it.

OK. So Nikon have produced a 18-200mm lens and Pentax have stated they wont. I'd still rather go for2 relativelylight weight zooms (Pentax 18-55mm & Pentax 50-200mm) which produce good sharp images than opt for 1 heavier lens full of potential compromises.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:01 AM   #6

I happily use the 50-200 lens for my walk-around lens, it seems to do most of what I like to take pictures of. Then if I want a wide angle lens, I carry around a Pentax SMCM 24mm 2.8 lens - one that I bought years ago and didn't like because it was too wide-angle for my tastes with a film camera. I like it much better with the DS than I ever did with the ME, and its a small, sturdy and relatively light lens.

I don't do much birding, but have tried a couple of times with the 50-200. It isn't long enough for me to capture the wild birds around my place. I'd definitely want something that goes to 300 if I were doing lots of birding. I keep telling myself that a 300 lens doesn't fit with my lifestyle, but that message just doesn't quite get through to my brain!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:51 PM   #7

OK, other than the 50-200, what are your walk-around lenses? And what should I be looking for on ebay for a decent birding lens my husband might be able to afford before he leaves the planet?

Thanks again,

f
fogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:24 PM   #8

Not to mention that the 185-55 and 50-200 cost less that 1/3 of the vaunted N 18-200. I think I can survive. . . :O)

Scott

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
I'd still rather go for2 relativelylight weight zooms (Pentax 18-55mm & Pentax 50-200mm) which produce good sharp images than opt for 1 heavier lens full of potential compromises.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 7:19 PM   #9

I have read a lot of Rockwell's pontifications, now what do you get when you combine pompous with another word for donkey?

Seriously though, any zoom with a focal range of more than 10X and coverage for an APC sized sensor will either be huge, or a set of compromises. If you insist on that sort of range I think Tamron makes one that is decent.

As for Rockwell, he is knowledgeable but his writing style implies an air of authority that is somewhat troublesome. His unflinching devotion to things n*k*n combined with his blatant biasagainst all things not n*k*n implies a rather limited capacity for objective evaluation. Impartiality is not a concept that exists in his world. If I may use a photographic analogy, Rockwell sees the world in a very high contrast black and white.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:40 AM   #10

Wow dissn' Rockwell makes everybody no better than him.

I have the 18-200mm VR II lens and all I have read here that puts it down is bunk.

I have it and use it and find it to be a very good lens. Does sports (with the D200)very well where my Pentax ist DS (even after the firmware upgrade) struggles in comparison.

I don't much like it when I read posts that puts down other makes to justify what one has instead.

Guess this is where I go out the door and not bother with this forum again.

I enjoy my DS very much and look forward to getting the K100 sometime down the road but guess I will stick more to just shooting and enjoying my results and sharing with my family, friends and co-workers. They could care less what camera took the picture.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote