Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:58 PM   #1

I don't know much about using photoshop and was wondering how everyone learned what they know? A class? Playing with it? Online tutorial? How do you change colors? Cut and paste? Work in raw? Can it work in raw?

While I'm asking, does anyone use Pentax' photolab? If so, is there a tutorial for it somewhere?
Jason ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:06 PM   #2

A friend of mine gave me a bootleg copy of Photoshop 3 and I was lost, so I borrowed the tutorial book that came with the program way back then. As soon as I figured out how to work it, I bought PS4. I've recently bought CS2 and also the Adobe Classroom in a Book on it. I just need to spend more time working through the exercises. There are several ways to influence color in Photoshop. As people have mentioned, you can use Adobe Camera Raw for adjustments. If you shoot jpg you can use either levels or curves to change things. I'm not very good with curves, so I use levels most of the time (neat tool, you can adjust contrast as well as color).

There doesn't seem to be much of a tutorial for Photolab- I've just played with the controls and used the help menu. It does a reasonable job, though I don't use it that often.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:45 AM   #3

try googling photoshop tutorials and you'll find everything you need. that's how I learned to do everything. you can also try www.hertz-ladiges.com he has some very good tutorials on most common ps techniques.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:38 AM   #4

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
try googling photoshop tutorials and you'll find everything you need. that's how I learned to do everything. you can also try http://www.hertz-ladiges.com he has some very good tutorials on most common ps techniques.

Good website. However, look at the voting on camera preference. Pentax is bottom. Get voting people, make Pentax move up the list.

Darren
Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:47 AM   #5

http://luminous-landscape.com/
Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:56 AM   #6
TDN

trial & error

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:24 AM   #7

TDN wrote:
Quote:
trial & error

TDN
heard that...
6 years and it still works.....
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:29 AM   #8

Pressing the F1 key is a big help. :-)
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:04 AM   #9

Rufus T Firefly wrote:
Quote:
Pressing the F1 key is a big help. :-)
LOL! Actually, Adobe's help is better than many other programs I've used (such as Access where I can't understand half the answers or Excel where it never quite answers my question).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:42 AM   #10

the link i gave above is very informative.a lotof what i've learned was from reading threads just like this.. once you get a feel for it it gets easier bacause you'll say -oh, what if i use that this way or that way.. to me it's been just like getting that first computer. both are just tools to be used but you need to know the questions to ask before you get the answers. read and play with it..

roy