Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 29, 2006, 12:22 AM   #1

I have a strange problem. I bought the Pentax DL camera a month ago. My 1st set of 4 AA alkaline batteries ran out fast in my camera. I tried to replace them with another pair of duracell AA alkaline batteries. No go..the power wont turn on..I am sure I am putting the batteries in right way. I tried with 4 other new AA alkaline batteries, but no go again. Then I went and bought 2 CRV3 batteries and put them in. The camera powered up. Now I dont know what to do? I mean will my camera will take only CRV3 batteries( very expensive and rare). Why it doesn't power up with 4 AA alkaline ones. Though it worked for the first time( new out of box), when i tested with the AA alkaline battteries that came with the camera. Any solutions???
desipentax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2006, 2:42 AM   #2

I had similar problem. When I took my DL2 from the box and put in supplied batteries nothing happened. When I changed them to brand new Duracell nothing happened. When I changed them back it was OK and no problems since then. So I don't know why it was behaving like this, I'm happy it's OK now.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:54 AM   #3

get the manual out and make sure you are loading the AAs correctly.
first i've heard of this problem. might be time to return the cam.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:55 AM   #4
TDN

Yes, the DL does some weird things with batteries. Often it won't display a low battery warning until too late, and often it will display it too soon.

Also Pentax advises against the use of regular Alkaline batteries and rechargeable lithiums. Take this advise serious, they know what they're talking about.
Alkalines should be used as a backup only, a last resort. Rechargeable lithium batteries never.

My advice: Go out and buy yourself some nice rechargeable NiHM batteries. The battery life is excellent with these.
Pentax recommends the 2500 NiMH, but I've experienced that even 1800 NiMH batteries get you going for quite a long time, so no need to jump into high expenses. I switch between a set of 1800's and a set of 2100's.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:26 AM   #5

there are Rechargeable lithiums that can be used, but the cost???????
Old Jul 29, 2006, 6:58 AM   #6

Hi TDN,
Thanks for all the adivise you guys. I will try with rechargable NiMH batteries and post how does it behave. I have read the manual and I am sure I am inserting the batteries correctly. The 1st set of Alkaline batteries( supplied with the camera) worked after that I have no luck...Strange problem.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:04 AM   #7
TDN

Hey, no problem at all , glad I can be of any use on here

Yeah problems like that can be very strange indeed. Luckily this one has a simple solution. You won't regret getting rechargeable NiHM AA's, I really like the way the DL handles them.

I dont want to advertise or anything, but I can recommend the GP Powerbank batteries. I shot about 3 nights in a row with at least 2 concerts a night with 1 set of 1800 NiHM's before they gave up on me

If the camera still doesnt work with those, there must be something broken...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:33 AM   #8

funny, the batteries i got in the case didn't work at all - in anything! glad i'd just bought a set of 2500 nimh's awhile back. work like a charm, 500+ pics on the first set, going on 100 for the second
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:08 AM   #9

Hope the NiMH works...if not I have to send the camera to pentax for repair I guess...
Old Jul 29, 2006, 1:06 PM   #10

A couple more tips for NiMHs -

1. Make sure you have a good charger, I like MAHA chargers.
2. Use Energizers, they seem to self-discharge less.
3. Clean the camera battery terminals. Dirty terminals could give the symptoms you've described. Use a pencil eraser.
4. If one cell in four is bad, it will make the whole set perform poorly. There are a few chargers that can find a bad cell. Lacrosse makes one.
5. Use a slow charge setting. Your batteries will last longer as the heat from short cycles can damage the battery over time.
6. Get an 8 cell charger (or two 4 cell chargers). Otherwise, you'll feel like you never have a full set when you need to use both the camera and an external flash.
7. Try reconditioning the batteries before throwing them away. Most chargers have a reconditioning cycle. You might get more use out of older batteries.
8. I prefer chargers that charge each battery separately. Many 4 cell chargers charge cells in banks of two. If one of the two has a different charge, one of the two could get overcharged.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote