Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 29, 2006, 2:54 PM   #1

New here and new to DSLR...I just bought a DL and I'm as green as the hills to DSLR's. I've been shooting p/s digitals for well over 4 years now but this is totally new to me. I've been lurking for a few days now and love all of the info on this forum. I got the Pentax kit but I want an everyday lens with more zoom. I need your help...Would this lens be a good everyday lens for me to start off with?

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=2

Thanks for your help...
Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:22 PM   #2

WELCOME MARJORIE, i'll look now that i got to be 1st.

roy
Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:26 PM   #3

you can get a faster one on ebay for only 100usd. quite a few here use it. some have had probs but nothing not fixable. ira(monza) swears by his. i'll let one of them tell about it.

roy
edit: have you thought about the pentax 50-200. ??
Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:30 PM   #4

Are you referring to this one Robar:

http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses/lens_50_200
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 4:45 PM   #5

Marjorie and Mike-

Yes, that is exactly the lens that Roy was referring to in his post above. The problem with the 28-135mm lens is that in actual use, due to the 1.5X lens additive, the lens really is a 42-200mm lens. The Pentax 20-200mm lens is a smaller (especially nice for traveling and camer bag stowage), handier because it is a very compact lens, and sharper than the Sigma lens.

The Tamron 28-300mm XR lens is also used by a lot of folks and is priced below $150, giving you even greater 42-450mm reach at a bargain price. So there are a couple of choices.

The other choice is referred to as "the all in one lens", thus saving you any extra lens changes in the field. Tamron and Sigma both make a 18-200mm lens that in everyday use becomes a 27-300mm lens. That lens is wide angle to medium zoom and a lot of people like that focal length.

I also began the promised Flash Thread today as well and have begun with your camera's built-in flash. You may want to follow along with that thread because, over time,we are going to slow cover all the flash operations possible with your pentax DSLR camera.

I would also like to say welcome aboard to Marjorie. You will find that we are a really friendly group here and that you can probably learn a lot as well.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:30 PM   #6

Out of curiosity, where does the 1.5x come from? I know there is a difference between DSLR and regular 35mm SLR is that what you are referring to?
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:44 PM   #7

Mike-

Because the APS-C CMOS imager used on all consumer DSLR cameras is measurably smaller than the the normal 35mm image size (24mmX36mm), when a lens designed for a full frame 35mm camera is used with a camera utilizing the APS-C imager, it only uses the center of the lens (to state things very simply).

Therefore, to compute the actual focal length of the central portion of the lens, we use the 1.5X lens additive on Pentax DSLR cameras.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:44 PM   #8

MadMikeSS wrote:
Quote:
Out of curiosity, where does the 1.5x come from? I know there is a difference between DSLR and regular 35mm SLR is that what you are referring to?
come on mike. read up.. wish i typed.
google search ''1.5 lens factor''

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...E5+lens+factor
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:49 PM   #9

the 1.5x crop factor comes from the sensor size. the sensor size on the ist DL (and most other dslrs, until you get upto professional quality) is 0.67x the size of 35mm film. so to get the same actual viewing area (what your eye sees) provided by a 35mm lens (say 100-200 for example) you multiply both by1.5 - in this case, it would be 150-300mm equivalent. it is actually the same size as APS camera film (remember those Kodak Advantix cameras that could take panoramic pictures) - it is that size. hope that helps - someone else here can probably explain it better though!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 6:02 PM   #10

Thank you so much for all of the great feedback...think I'll look into the suggestions given here. I'd like a good all around lens for everyday shooting...I love it here!!! All of you are so great...

Will look into the flash thread...I must be led by the hand and I know I've come to the right place...

Thanks again!
Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote