Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:11 PM   #91

While reading your answer I got an idea. I took a picture of the slave with de Pentax, but now looking direct to the slave instead of the viewfinder.

It flashes, but it's too late or too early, the eye could not see that.

I've heard about a second curtain (Don't know if that's the right translation.) I'm gonna look for some information about that. A little note, your slave shows "digital"on the front. When the Osram was sold most people did not even know there was something as "digital".

I like your lessons Sarah!

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:37 PM   #92

Richard-

I believe that it has to do with the angle of light acceptance on the photo electric cell/switch located on your Osram Slave Flash. I had this very same problem, as I detailed in the first installment of Lesson 4 yesterday, with the Sunpak DS-20 slave flash.The DS-20 proved to be a waste of money for me, because it would only work under very narrow restrictions.

In contrast to the very restricted angle of light acceptance that I discovered on the Sunpak DS-20, is my small camera bag/kit slave flash, the Bower SFDS which can reliably work at just about any angle or position it is held or bracketed.

Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:46 PM   #93

Thanks Sarah,

It has the sensor on top, meaning I can use it at almost any distance.

I've been reading your lesson about that wasted money flash, but believe me, the Osram flashes even at the other side of the room with the Pentax, but you do not see the flash flashing on the picture. It does with the Kodax.I believe it has do do something with syncronisation (Hope I have that one spelled right!) but I do not fullyunderstand the concept of two curtains in a slr.

Well, astold, it's an old one, the wife uses it with the Kodak and a Philips flash onthe hotshoe. Maybe I wil go out and get me a new cheapbut very usefull slave.

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:29 PM   #94

Richard-

You can be greatly relieved!

Slave flashes do not cost a whole lot. However, please try it and determine the angle of light acceptance. That can be a make or break deal with a Slave Flash, at least for me.

Sarah
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:07 PM   #95

Thanks, Sarah and Roy, for your guidance. The Sigma 500 DG arrived late this afternoon, and I just had to post a couple of quick images. Roy, you are right, I am going to enjoy this flash.

Regards, Lawrence

Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:47 AM   #96

Lawrence-

I am so glad that you are indeed a "happy camper." It is quite a good flash unit.

Sarah
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:12 AM   #97

Sarah/Roy, I'm not trying to take away from the great job you're doing in this thread but thought I would add a url which i recently found.

http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index...rnalflash.html

He does detail some stuff on the istD as well.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:08 PM   #98

Quote:
I was looking on Ebay and saw a Vivitar 730 AF P-TTL and noted the description stated "I don't think it was designed for digital."
Read hereon that flash. It is not a P-TTL flash.
Yog-Sothoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:07 PM   #99

jaycee-

That is a good link. I used that website when I was researching for the TTl and P-TTL topic.

Yog-

You are indeed correct. When selecting an external flash for any of the Pentax DSLR cameras, you have to be careful so that you get the flash matched to your camera.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:40 PM   #100

Hi folks. I have an *ist DS, and a recently-acquired Sigma EF-500 DG ST. Most of the time I have the camera set to aperture priority mode. In this mode I find that I am not allowed to set the flash to auto, whether using the internal flash or the Sigma. My question is this: in the manual mode, with the flash unit set to TTL, does the camera control the flash output to get the correct exposure, or does the flash always give the same output?

The only setting on the camera that will allow setting of auto flash is auto picture.

Thanks.
AK
AK Carlow is offline   Reply With Quote