Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:09 AM   #121

Sarah,

I just wanted to jump in and say I've lurked at this site for a little over a year(the length of time I've owned my DS) and I've just joined the forum this evening. I happened to stumble over your flash thread and I decided it was time to sign up! I have owned an AF360FZG flash for almost a year and I still have no clue how to use it.

I'm so glad you are giving your time and talent to explain flash. Now I just have to go back andread all the posts again.

Marsha

sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:09 AM   #122

Sarah,

I just wanted to jump in and say I've lurked at this site for a little over a year (the length of time I've owned my DS) and I've just joined the forum this evening. I happened to stumble over your flash thread and I decided it was time to sign up! I have owned an AF360FZG flash for almost a year and I still have no clue how to use it.

I'm so glad you are giving your time and talent to explain flash. Now I just have to go back andread all the posts again.

Marsha

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So sorry for the double post!

sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 3:14 AM   #123

I have a DL and bought an AF-360-FGZ. Having some issues trying to take advantage of the equipment. Anybody have any suggestions on what is the best setting to use for this? Camera will sometimes choose a shutter speed of 45 other times 60. Basically just looking for some help around taking advantage of it. Was pricey so I had expected a huge improvement over the small included flash, but don't feel I see it. Addtionaly the following is an example of what happens every once in while. Using standard setting I'll get this result. Change some things and it goes back to normal.

Any ideas? Basically just looking for some help to chose the best setting combo when using these two.
Attached Images

Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:55 AM   #124

I am assuming the Pentax flash has a TTL mode, like the Sigma EF500 models. Set flash to TTL and camera to Picture mode and it should shoot perfectly exposed everytime.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:02 AM   #125

marsha,
i have the same problem. what i do is set up the cam in M modeat 1/180sec and whatever f-stop. disregard what the cam is telling you and shoot. try that and post back.

roy
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:06 AM   #126

Bowenp-

Your sample flash photo is obviously quite over exposed. Let's take a moment to review how the camera, the flash, and the distance to subject were out of synch. From the appearance of the photo, it looks as if the flash head was turned directly toward the subject. Would that be correct?

What was the distance between the flash head and the subject? Once again, appearrances can be deceiving, but the distance appears to be less than 10 feet. If that were the case, the amount of flash simply overpowered the scene, leaving you with a very overexposed photo.

Keep in mind that if you are going to move in closely (less than 15 feet), due to the output of the flash, the AF360 in this case, you are going to have to use bounce flash. When using bounce flash, you must consider the color of the ceiling or wall that you are bouncing your flash off of to light your photo. White or nearly white works the best.

Keep in mind that the camera's built-in flash is designed to light subjects out to 10 to 12 feet. An external flash, when used with the flash head directly facing the subject, simply extends the range beyond that of the built-in flash. When working with the AF360, when you have the flash head to your subject at a distance of 15 feet or less, you are going to have to use some degree of bounce flash.

So please take a moment, and discuss with me some of the factors that I have discussed here in my post. The flash is an excellent flash, but it is powerful. Therefore, you should understand how to use it. To get you the best solution, I have to know some more about the photo environment and the distances.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:31 AM   #127

WOW great write up. I know its kinda late but I just want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for taking your time to write all of this up! I am just beging to injoy the camera after using it for a few months. For a noob like me, this is really helpful and now I understand how flash really works. I never knew it could be so complicated.

Thanks again MT/Sarah

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:12 PM   #128

I use this for bounce flash when there isn't a ceiling low enough or the correct color.
Yog-Sothoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:26 PM   #129

Yog-Sothoth wrote:
Quote:
I use this for bounce flash when there isn't a ceiling low enough or the correct color.
you can make these yourself for free with stuff laying around the house.
ie: a piece of paper bent correctly, a 35mm translucent film container, an alcohol bottle w/the top cut off, (i use this) the bottom part of a suppliment bottle.

roy
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:47 AM   #130

Roy-

In all fairness, the Lumiquest does work very well, and it is consistent. You can often find them on ebay for little or nothing.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote