Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:30 PM   #131

Bowenp-

I wish you would post some info about your flash problem, so I can provide some specific help. Beginning Sept 5th through mid January my husband and I will be on the road again doing workshops. That is always a busy time for me ,and I do not have the time topost much at all in forums like this one while doing workshops.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:43 PM   #132

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Bowenp-

I wish you would post some info about your flash problem, so I can provide some specific help. Beginning Sept 5th through mid January my husband and I will be on the road again doing workshops. That is always a busy time for me ,and I do not have the time topost much at all in forums like this one while doing workshops.

MT/Sarah
give me a break sarah!!!!! you live for this stuff!!!!! LOL
thank gawd you don't own a F16.... hehe

roy
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:44 PM   #133

Flash Thread Lesson Six

As I had previously promised, this will be a quick look at the Promaster Flash Unit. What makes this flash unit different than the Sigma EF-500 DG ST PA-PTTL is that there are TWO flashes built into the flash unit structure. Here is a photo showing the small fill-in flash unit that is installed just above the large red lens on the photo electric light sensor.

The next photo shows the back of the Promaster Flash Unit.

So as a test, I took a close-up photo of a Pentax 28-80 lens, using the Promaster Flash. As you know lately we have seen several samples of over exposure when taking photos at distances, measured from the flash to the subject of less than 12 feet when using an external flash unit. Please remember this rule.

When taking Macro or close-up shots when using an external flash at distances of LESS THAN 12 feet, the external flash unit's main flash head must be in the upright full bounce position.

So the purpose of our test photo done with this Promaster Flash Unit was to see how the Promaster Flash Unit handled a full bounce flash photo while simultaneously using that small extra flash unit for a secondary fill-in flash. Here is how our test photo looks.

You can clearly see that the small simultaneous flash from the flash fill-in secondary flash worked quite well. So we can conclude that the 2 flash units in the Promaster Flashare indeed effective. This photo was taken handheld.

I purchased the Promaster Flash Unit in an ebay auction. Its delivered cost was $29.05. If you are interested in a Promaster External Flash be careful of the fact that it appears that there are currently three different flash modules available for Pentax DSLR cameras. Be sure you get the correct one. The flash module is used by Promaster so they can "tailor" their flashes to specific cameras. Take a close look at the first photo. The flash module begins directly below the small, square shaped, secondary fill-in flash unit and it includes the red covered photo electric switch, and finally provides the proper hot shoe pins to match the camera it is designed for. I felt pretty safe as the Promaster flash that I bought was being sold by a Pentax DSLR owner.

I sincerely hope that you have enjoyed the Flash Thread Lessons. Flash lighting is very versitile and effective and it can be used for many photo situations. Unfortunately, flash lighting has sort of gotten a bad name because many camera owners have not really taken the time to sharpen their flash photo skills or to learn all of the features of their flash units.

The folks who seem know how to use flash lighting best are successful wedding photographers. Perhaps that is because they are paid when they get great photos for the bride, groom, and their families. I am sure they are many others, as well, who have mastered flash andwho are getting great photos. However, the wedding photographers instantly came to mind. Please understand I am not hitting on anyone at all. All I was trying to do is to encourge folks to learn more about their flash units.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:33 PM   #134

Sara -

You know I think it was more of a tech glich than anyting else. I was aprox 12 to 13 feet and was trying to test the P-TTL ability to limit the flash to what was needed. I had the camera set to auto the flash set to P-TTL and that is the result.

I have since had better luck but I tend to have to fiddle with the flash setting to get a non washed out pic. Not a huge deal but I thought the flash 9considering the price) would be better when using P-TTL setting.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:04 PM   #135

bowenp-

Thanks for your reply. I shall not worry then if you have had subsequent success. You did not mention the position of the flash head on your AF360. You were IMHO righton the very edge for being in the over exposure zone.

When you have a chance, please let us know the position of the flash head.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 18, 2006, 4:01 PM   #136

When I was looking for a flash I question promaster about the "non digital" spec of the 7000. Tech support said this flash on Pentax digitals would build up carbon deposits and ruin the camera and flash. They recommended the digital version, of course, which is more costly(not ebay). Anyone else heard of this? Is this true? Great thread by the way!-Jon
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 7:02 PM   #137

Roy,

I've been encourage by your posts and the tutorial Sarah has posted. I took my first flash photos today with my AF360FZG, bounced the flash between a 45 - 50 degree angle. I shot in autofocus and used PTTL setting - the rest is still a mystery to me:

http://aussiegal.smugmug.com/gallery/1789099/1/89050410

I'd appreciate any tips, I am a complete noobie with this flash. I plan to experiment some more this weekend.

Marsha
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 7:10 PM   #138

marsha,
nothing wrong with that shot at all..
what's your complaint???
and welcome to the board..
also, you can post an image by using the browse button and going to your image and uploading it here. saves posting a link..

roy
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:08 PM   #139

posting error.

MT/Sarah

Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:28 PM   #140

i was just out shooting a pregnant little girl we got in today w/the 500super... using the A70-210 at f4, 1/500sec, iso 400 i've got auto to 50'. exposure seems to be right on. this gal is getting ready to drop any second. asked the vet about aborting her and he just said, 'yeah right''. looks like pups this week end. we just hate adding to the problem tho..

roy