Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:26 PM   #11

Roy-

That is the whole thrust of the flash thread. We will, in future lessons, deal with TTL versus P-TTL, slave flashes, bounce flashes, external flashes (including the Sigma EF 500DG), as well as flash diffussers and the like. If people are enthusiastic and getting something out of the Flash Thread,I will get as many lessons posted as possible before we have to leave on 09/06 to head off to England to do a fewworkshops.

I will pick it up again, only if the folks who visit our Pentax Folder, are enjoying it when we return on 09/25.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:39 PM   #12

Well, years ago, when touring in Rome with an Italian friend,As we were making our way through the long hallways of the Vatican museum, we suddenly came upon a huge marble bench or pew that seemed a bit out of place.

Because it had an ornate inscription on it, and knowing that Latin and Italian are pretty close, I asked my friend what it said.

She told me that it read" "Nothing takes place quickly. Please have a seat. "

We laughed together, had a seat, and rested, our tired tourist feet.

MT/Sarah

Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:46 PM   #13

Yikes!!!! I've probably dropped in here 10 times (or more) myself today. I'm still putting a list together for my first kit and the dollars are mounting up. But I don't want to neglect getting a flash, So I was looking around online for affordableflash units and memory and batteries and all that fun "stuff". (found a sunpak tyristor auto flash for pentax for starters)

That being said, I was thinking all day how well that lesson plan was presented and well formated as a basis for total newbs to learn flash theory.

I hope I didn't skew the "views" numbers. I will be have quite a few questions myself very soon.
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:43 AM   #14

Sarah...I'm sorry that it came to this...I was looking forward to participating in this thread...

Thanks for trying though...it's appreciated at this end!

PS

Roy I tried that method and my photos were awesome. Thanks for the hint! I assume this works for the P mode too?

Marjorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 5:45 AM   #15

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Well, thus far we have a total of 88 views of this thread, and only Roy, Marjorieand I are chatting with each other. I guess I get your message. It, truly, is a wasted amount of time and effort. So I will accept your decision and not go on to Lesson #2. It is not worth my time. nor your time. In short, it must be very boring to all of you Pentax experts.

The interesting thing is that I normally get paid for this kind of stuff, and I have provided it to all of you, free of charge, with the potential of a whole lot more to come.

I clearly understandyour messages, you 88, very sincere and ultra motivated viewers/posters. I am not angry, I am just moving onward. as I have a lot to do every day.Yep, Ireally do get paid well for doing this kind of stuff.Believe me, I amNOT a party pooper at all. I guess, I was really very mistaken about the response toa real learning opportunity about flash all the way through TTL versus TTL, slave flashes and external flashes. Goodluck to all! Yes, I agree you can learn it on your own. So be my guest, please.

The http://www.dpreview.com Pentax SLR forum is probably a friendlier place.

MT/Sarah

Apologies MT/Sarah. I have read this thread several times already, but being a bit a lurker I didn't post a response. I was really waiting for the TTL vs P-TTL explanation.

I have a DL2 and I cannot change my flash settings the way Roy does.

At the risk of begging, please, please, please continue to share your expertise with us. It really is appreciated.

Darren

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:12 AM   #16

just got finished reading thr manuals for the DS & DL. they are exactly alike. the manuals are misleading in that it doesn't tell you that the flash does actually take into the ambient lighting when it shoots in manual discharge. it does state that the flash will shoot a fully discharged flash with lenses that predate the A series lenses. when shooting in the various picture modes, Av mode, and M mode with an aperture selected the flash will expose the image correctly when using the manual flash selection.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:43 AM   #17

Roy you are indeed, correct-

At times the camera manuals that came withour camerasare somewhat hazy, and leave us wondering a bit. That Goodness for the many inventivefolks like you, Roy,who have developed, rather clever "work arounds" to meet various circumstances. I wish we could document them all.

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:24 AM   #18

i know what you mean sarah. if i was just starting with a dslr, this manual would mess up my head completely. i've described it before as written in japanese, translated to swahili and retranslated to english. on page 49 the manual says 3 thrings about the flash and none of them make much sense except when it says that the flash will fire at full power when used with pre'A' lenses..

edit: my fuji s7000's manual was the same way..
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:35 AM   #19

Roy-

I think you are 100% correct.

It is indeed the strange phenomena called, "the translation gap."

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:09 AM   #20

MT/Sarah,

I find your lesson and comments very useful, and I appreciate the time you are giving to help us who are learning. Your work makes our progress much faster. Roy's comments are equally helpful.When I have questions, I search this forum and the dpreview pentax forum, and discover that someone like you two (plus Ira) are patiently bringing others of us into a new stage or up to a new level. I wish thatyou would continue your lessons into the next stage of lighting, because that is an area in which I need some guidance.

Respectfully and with regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote