Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:04 PM   #191

Fred666 is dead - Dal 1970 is now in use.

Darren (Dal)
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:18 PM   #192

Hiya. Fabulous thread. Sorry for probably stupid question :
I've got a DL2, and I'm trying to fire a slave flash using the built-in flash. No matter what I try - full manual mode and everything, the slave flash still seems to be firing too early - the built-in still does the p-ttl double flash thing. Is there any way I can switch this off, or am I better off getting a seperate flash gun which will work in a genuine manual mode?
Borusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:48 PM   #193

borusa-

There are slave Flashes that can ignore the DL pre flash such as the Vivitar DF-200 and the Bower SFDS. And if you are using the Sunpak DS-20 I have found that photcell angle of acceptance on that slave flash is very narrow.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:07 PM   #194

Borusa wrote:
Quote:
Hiya. Fabulous thread. Sorry for probably stupid question :
I've got a DL2, and I'm trying to fire a slave flash using the built-in flash. No matter what I try - full manual mode and everything, the slave flash still seems to be firing too early - the built-in still does the p-ttl double flash thing. Is there any way I can switch this off, or am I better off getting a seperate flash gun which will work in a genuine manual mode?
welcome to the forum

roy
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:46 AM   #195

Hello I just received a Sigma EF-500 DG ST PA-PTTL Pentax for my K100D dSLR that I just got 3 weeks ago. I am new to dSLR and flash photography by the way. Last evening I installed the batteries properly into the Sigma flash and it tested properly. I then installed it on the hotshoe of my Pentax K100D and tried it out in Program and Auto modes with the flash set to TTL. After focusing on a subject in my living room from about 5 feet away and depressing the shutter, the Sigma flash unit did flash but no image at all appeared in the dSLR LCD screen. Ive tried it a few times with the same result. No image is produced. Without using the Sigma external flash unit, my K100D works perfectly. Am I doing something incorrectly or do I have a nonfunctioning Sigma flash unit? This forum is very informative and I will appreciate any replies, Thank you.
---Terry
tknterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:23 AM   #196

Sounds to me the shutter and the flash are out of sync, like the flash is firing just before or after the shutter. Maybe the flash has an actual "PTTL" mode you can try since I think that is all the camera supports. Five feet is pretty close for direct flash, is the image that is taken all white or black? All white means massive over exposure all black means not in sync. Hope this helps.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:51 AM   #197

Thanks for the reply. I believe the problem is due to an incompatibility of this flash with the new K100D. Please refer to this thread for details if you are interested:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=19769144

--Terry
tknterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:55 PM   #198

Your Flash will work just fine with the K100D. Or, at least mine does for me, and I have not a bit of problems. And I do a lot of flash work.

MT/Sarah
Old Sep 5, 2006, 10:40 PM   #199

K100D, like DL, only supports P-TTL mode, not TTL mode. There is no TTL sensor inside the camera body. On top of that Sigma is running a firmware update for 500 flash to solve compatibility problems with K100D as well.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:28 PM   #200

Foxbat-

Are you some kind of expert that I have not come to know. In all honesty, the K100 D will work very well indeed with the Sigma EF 500 Flash. Please just take a good look at my sample photos in the Flash Thread. These, you will see, demonstrateexcellent examples of the Sigma Ef-500 photos taken with the K100D camera.

MT/Sarah