Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:05 PM   #201

Hi MT/Sarah

Then why does Sigma say that there are incopatibilities with the K100 on their website and also offer a fix?

Sigma is very explicit in their release. Tried to copy and past the release but could not figure it out.

Here is the link: htp://sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID-3270

If you can't get to the site via the link do a Google search for Sigma DG500 Pentax. Thats is how I found it.

F
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:27 PM   #202

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Foxbat-

Are you some kind of expert that I have not come to know. In all honesty, the K100 D will work very well indeed with the Sigma EF 500 Flash. Please just take a good look at my sample photos in the Flash Thread. These, you will see, demonstrateexcellent examples of the Sigma Ef-500 photos taken with the K100D camera.

MT/Sarah

Not expert, just read a little more than you do on thisspecificissue

I didn't say Sigma EF-500 won't work. It just won't work correctly in TTL mode. It needs to be in P-TTL mode. The post I replied to mentioned he force it to TTL mode rather than p-TTL.

Here is the quote:

"Hello I just received a Sigma EF-500 DG ST PA-PTTL Pentax for my K100D dSLR that I just got 3 weeks ago. I am new to dSLR and flash photography by the way. Last evening I installed the batteries properly into the Sigma flash and it tested properly. I then installed it on the hotshoe of my Pentax K100D and tried it out in Program and Auto modes with the flash set to TTL."[/quote]

Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:35 AM   #203

I got to agree, there is a glitch apparently with the EF500 flash working with the K100D and Sigma's website has offered a fix.

The rear of the EF500DG has off, TTL, Mh and Ml (for manual High and Manual Low.)

The TTL setting means "Through The Lens" and in this case would be the PA-TTL mode not just TTL. The original post stated that Terry had purchased a "Sigma EF-500 DG ST PA-PTTL", the flash can ONLY do PA-TTL when set to the TTL position.

Check that it actually says Sigma EF-500 DG ST PA-PTTL on the back of the flash and they haven't dropped in a sgima EF500 for some other brand of camera.

Check that the flash is FULLY on the hot shoe, otherwise the pins don't line up and that can cause problems too.

Lastly try shooting with SR On and Off just to see if that is influencing it.

Otherwise return to the shop and have them look at it.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:16 AM   #204

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
The rear of the EF500DG has off, TTL, Mh and Ml (for manual High and Manual Low.)

The TTL setting means "Through The Lens" and in this case would be the PA-TTL mode not just TTL. The original post stated that Terry had purchased a "Sigma EF-500 DG ST PA-PTTL", the flash can ONLY do PA-TTL when set to the TTL position.

Thanks for point that out. Just checked Sigma web site for details. When set to TTL Auto position, it will do P-TTL on ist series camera and regular TTL on other older film bodies that do not support P-TTL.

So the original issue must be related to the incompatibility problem.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 6:55 PM   #205
TDN

bump

(reminds me to start reading this one... )
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:21 AM   #206

bump

i think it needs it.

roy
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:22 AM   #207
TDN

still havent gotten past page 2...:lol:
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:49 PM   #208

Does this forum allow user threads to be stickied?

If ever a user thread deserves to be stickied, it's this one... amazing resource. I was intimidated by hotshoe flashes until I read it. Now I think I could handle one.

But I still lack the funds to run out and buy one.

Or could we at least sticky a list of links to exceptionally helpful user threads, as a resource for forum newbies?

--Brett
BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:28 PM   #209

bump
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:38 AM   #210

bump

there's a discussion about f-stops in here also