Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:24 PM   #211

What a great thread...i just spent the last 2 hours reading through all the posts and taking notes.

It looks like both Sigma and ProMaster have flashes that will work with the P-ttl Pentax bodies. I have a K100D.

Does anyone know if Quantaray has a flash that will work with the K100D? I got a giftcard to Wolfcamera for x-mas and the only two brands of flashes that Wolf appears to carry are Pentax and Quantaray.

thanks in advance...
maynard001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 6:23 AM   #212

ck their (Quantary) website and ask at ritz

roy
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:03 AM   #213

Is there a way to use the onboard flash from the K10 to take simple portrait style shots of people?

Reason I'm asking, I just ordered a K10 with lots of lenses. The wallet has run dry for the time being $$ ... but yet I've been asked to take headshots of the staff at our church for their website. Nothing fancy, just a simple headshot to have them pictured on their website.

But I don't want them to appear washed out with harsh shadows behind them. I've read of people taping tissue paper to the flash to help diffuse it... is there anything else I can do to get some good lighting out of the onboard flash?

TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 6:37 PM   #214

best way is to make a difusser of some kind to place over the onboard flash to disperse the light. do a google search for '' flash diffusser ''. this can be as easy as taping a couple of pieces of printer paper over the flash. a really good thing to use is one of the translucent 35mm film carriers split into and opened up to go over the flash head.

roy
Old Feb 28, 2007, 4:14 PM   #215
TDN

bumpity bumpbump.

Since flashes came up again, searched this one between the posts...someone should really fix the search function on this site, assuming it ever worked correctly
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:59 PM   #216
TDN

allright. It took me 6 months, but I finally got the courage to start reading this thread all the way from the beginning.

I learned a lot

Sarah if you bump into this thread again: thanks a million for all your effort. Same goes to roy and all of you.

I may have some small contributions: if you need some diffusing for the onboard flash, I have noticed that simply putting a plastic cup over it can help, but only a little.
The light is more diffused, but the shadows are still harsh.
Also it's pretty unstable

It seems the material for a diffuuser needs to be thicker. The coloured side of a Stabilo Big Boss fluorescent marker box actually seems to work.

This is the one I have. Consider it a coloured flash diffuser. Not really usable in real situations, but it does seem to soften the shadows. and diffuse the light.
Also it seems to be the right shape for an external flash head...

and check this out: might be more efficient.

Costs about 3$ I believe + it comes with 4 handy markers. Give me one flash diffuser that does that

Currently looking for a cheap external flash that has bounce until I can afford a Sigma EF500 super.

I also have 1 question: what is the deal exactly with high speed sync? doe sit allow you to shoot faster than 1/180?

Now I'm going to bed, my eyes hurt

Thanks again
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:13 PM   #217

TDN wrote:
Quote:
<Snip>
Quote:
I also have 1 question: what is the deal exactly with high speed sync? doe sit allow you to shoot faster than 1/180?

Thanks again
Yes. High speed synch allows you to use the flash at faster shutter speeds. This especially useful for fill flash outdoors.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:52 PM   #218

robar wrote:
Quote:
mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
It is not an especially difficult topic, Roy. Why don't you take it on. I know that you could do a good job with it.

MT/Sarah
are you kidding?? it's one of the most difficult topics there is. i'd have no way of putting something like that together. i don't have the typing skills for it, nor any idea of a format..

roy
No you are absolutely CORRECT about that..... and while the thread has resurface again after some time, maybe becaus of my 10D/Promaster thread at a point I didn't really need the tutorial... it was still a good refresher and yes I found a thing or two overlook or maybe a bit simplified but definately an OUTSTANDING pice of work.... for the love of it.

These forums don't seem to have an attachable FAQ option, but I would really like to see the actual LESSON protions of this thread collected and posted somehow (if just on the forum top sticky and locked so no reply build up/taking off topic)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:03 AM   #219

TDN wrote:
Quote:
It seems the material for a diffuuser needs to be thicker. The coloured side of a Stabilo Big Boss fluorescent marker box actually seems to work.

This is the one I have. Consider it a coloured flash diffuser. Not really usable in real situations, but it does seem to soften the shadows. and diffuse the light.
Also it seems to be the right shape for an external flash head...

and check this out: might be more efficient.

Costs about 3$ I believe + it comes with 4 handy markers. Give me one flash diffuser that does that

Currently looking for a cheap external flash that has bounce until I can afford a Sigma EF500 super.

Thanks again
So what Brandare those markers, and where do you get them???

As to flashes, well again you might look for the Promaster 7000M (Pentax ver).

Sarah got her's used off EBAY, and mine was from B&H's used dept... and was actually supposed to be the lesser 5700, golly what a disappointment what was delivered was the 7000M (It was even invoiced/packed as the 5700... guess no one actually ever looked closely.)

And was indeed the Penatax version.

It is P-TTL compatible.... and once I figured it out, and got the camera defaults I had changed for the wimmpy internal back to default, I have had very little trouble with it.... Used good cond. for around $30-50 a TRUE bargain.

Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:06 AM   #220

TN Mary wrote:
Quote:
Is there a way to use the onboard flash from the K10 to take simple portrait style shots of people?

Reason I'm asking, I just ordered a K10 with lots of lenses. The wallet has run dry for the time being $$ ... but yet I've been asked to take headshots of the staff at our church for their website. Nothing fancy, just a simple headshot to have them pictured on their website.

But I don't want them to appear washed out with harsh shadows behind them. I've read of people taping tissue paper to the flash to help diffuse it... is there anything else I can do to get some good lighting out of the onboard flash?
About the best you could do with the internal, is to try and diffuse it with thin paper or cloudy plastic.

(And then likely have to exposure compensate despite the P-TTL)

You really ought to finbd an inexpensive external to do serious flash work and with some (like the Promaster 7000M) bouce and low power direct flash fill as well) Usially called a twin or dual flash, and others make them too.

Once again, while not huge numbers out there, but might try looking for a used Promaster 7000M (Pentax ver. !) $30-50 seems to be the going rate.... and a heck of a bargain for that.