Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:53 PM   #221
TDN

For external flashes: a very cheap (cost of printing paper) and effective way to bounnce and diffuse light.

Requires a flash that can swivel.

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

I'm saving up for a flash and intend to use this. Results posted on there are remarkable.

steve posted this in the flash forum aswell: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 1:03 AM   #222

Yeah especially when outdoors or under a dark/high/odd color ceiling.

I have been meaning to make a few of those up since getting the Promaster 7000M
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:23 AM   #223

I forget now who mentioned it.... at least with the Promaster 7000M (likely other P-TTL flashes) , if you put the FLASH in MANUAL mode... it will not preflash (the K10D internal WILL no mater what mode the cam is in, even Manual.

And that allows the SLAVES to not be fooled and fire at the right time.

But that (Manual Flash) is not all that bad a thing, as if you are using slaves, you are likely in a controled/static setting where test shots aren't a big issue, and likely only one or two needed if you know what you are doing with flash exposure. (Or even just watch/study what your P-TTL system comes up with in various situations)

Old Mar 14, 2007, 2:30 PM   #224

Sorry to post this question about a very old original posting, Sarah.

But I've read through all postings relating to this and could not find the answer I was seeking, so I thought I'd just ask directly.

I have a Promaster 7000 for Pentax I'm considering using on my brand new K100D. Can you confirm that you used that flash w/ this camera and that it:

1) Worked in P-TTL mode

2) Did not cause any of the damage that has been rumored to result when using this flash with a K100D?

Thanks! I personally believe it should be fine, but wanted to check with someone more knowledgable and experienced before mounting that flash unit on a brand-new K100D.

- Kevin

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Flash Thread Lesson Six

As I had previously promised, this will be a quick look at the Promaster Flash Unit. What makes this flash unit different than the Sigma EF-500 DG ST PA-PTTL is that there are TWO flashes built into the flash unit structure. Here is a photo showing the small fill-in flash unit that is installed just above the large red lens on the photo electric light sensor.

The next photo shows the back of the Promaster Flash Unit.

So as a test, I took a close-up photo of a Pentax 28-80 lens, using the Promaster Flash. As you know lately we have seen several samples of over exposure when taking photos at distances, measured from the flash to the subject of less than 12 feet when using an external flash unit. Please remember this rule.

When taking Macro or close-up shots when using an external flash at distances of LESS THAN 12 feet, the external flash unit's main flash head must be in the upright full bounce position.

So the purpose of our test photo done with this Promaster Flash Unit was to see how the Promaster Flash Unit handled a full bounce flash photo while simultaneously using that small extra flash unit for a secondary fill-in flash. Here is how our test photo looks.

You can clearly see that the small simultaneous flash from the flash fill-in secondary flash worked quite well. So we can conclude that the 2 flash units in the Promaster Flashare indeed effective. This photo was taken handheld.

I purchased the Promaster Flash Unit in an ebay auction. Its delivered cost was $29.05. If you are interested in a Promaster External Flash be careful of the fact that it appears that there are currently three different flash modules available for Pentax DSLR cameras. Be sure you get the correct one. The flash module is used by Promaster so they can "tailor" their flashes to specific cameras. Take a close look at the first photo. The flash module begins directly below the small, square shaped, secondary fill-in flash unit and it includes the red covered photo electric switch, and finally provides the proper hot shoe pins to match the camera it is designed for. I felt pretty safe as the Promaster flash that I bought was being sold by a Pentax DSLR owner.

I sincerely hope that you have enjoyed the Flash Thread Lessons. Flash lighting is very versitile and effective and it can be used for many photo situations. Unfortunately, flash lighting has sort of gotten a bad name because many camera owners have not really taken the time to sharpen their flash photo skills or to learn all of the features of their flash units.

The folks who seem know how to use flash lighting best are successful wedding photographers. Perhaps that is because they are paid when they get great photos for the bride, groom, and their families. I am sure they are many others, as well, who have mastered flash andwho are getting great photos. However, the wedding photographers instantly came to mind. Please understand I am not hitting on anyone at all. All I was trying to do is to encourge folks to learn more about their flash units.

MT/Sarah
kevrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:35 PM   #225

Well, after several weeks now of usung on my K-10D pretty much every day, with LOTS of test shots the first week or so getting the hang of it.... no damage.

The Pentax version indeed does function P-TTL with preflash and all.

I have yet to find anywhere a post by someone actually getting damage... only a few post of the very generic form response from Promaster saying you should get their more expensive new DX mode. (Which is not yet made for Pentax in the 7000 series just the 5000.)

I have measured the trigger voltage and it is only 5 volts, hardly enough to cause damage, and as it is just trigger not load, there sould be no significant current component to it. 5 volts is also standard digital logic voltage as well.

Note the form message from Promaster does not even mention a specific camera... just that all digitals should use the DX versions.

And then there is that line in it "Will not work properly, and may cause damage" Well that is at least half wrong to begin with.... because it works perfectly on the K10D (I'd think 100D as well). All funtions work, Zoom head tracks lens FL just as it should... aqnd even EFFECTIVE FL....so 18-50 lens is trackec as 24-70mm) and again P-TTL.... so that inaccuracy (lie?) makes me really wonder about the rest of it too.

Also if this were really true I would think Pentax in their manual would warn to only use flashes designed for Digital.

Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:44 PM   #226

Thanks!!!!

kevrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:44 PM   #227

Sarah,

Great thread!!

I am in the process of purchasing a K100d. First DSLR. My head is spinning a bit. My dealer wants to sell me the Promaster 7500 DX for the camera. Did I read correctly that this would be a very good unit for the K100d.

Thank you in advance for your reply.
jeffh129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:03 AM   #228

Do they actually have 7500DX for Pentax now??? Recently they haven't... only the 5000 series.

Now they might have featues taylorored to digital on the DX's....OK...but this wil kill your CAMERA if not digital seems highly overblown just to sell them, and no USER fact (of failure/damage reported any where I have seen... and looked for) of the matter. (JUST THEIR FORM (ANY DIGITAL CAMRA) LETTER replies I have seen posted anywhere.

That the DX have eatra digital functionality.... OK maybe

Less functionality I can believe... but WILL KILL your camera is BS.

Though looking at their DX product descp. you wouldn't think so... vs the 7000M... VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL specs/ features. for the promoted DX and non DX versions

Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:46 PM   #229

[sup][sub]So the 7000m should work with an *ist DL in PTTL mode? Ive been trying to research this and get tons of conflicting information. Will only a DX module on the 7000m give PTTL or will the old film module give PTTL too? If the flash pictured below will work in PTTL I intend to get it, think you could look it over and see if you think it would?[/sub][/sup]

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
The Pentax version indeed does function P-TTL with preflash and all.

I have yet to find anywhere a post by someone actually getting damage... only a few post of the very generic form response from Promaster saying you should get their more expensive new DX mode. (Which is not yet made for Pentax in the 7000 series just the 5000.)

lostspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:40 PM   #230

Look identical to the one that Sarah posted to me
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote