Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 11, 2007, 1:11 PM   #241

trojansoc-

Yes, supposedly the Guide Number is a measure of a Flash Unit's light output. Unfortunately however, many sellers fudge on the published guide number. So beware, please.

I had a flash from Digital Innovations that failed the day after the guarantee went out of date. You are better served to use well know flashes such as Pentax and Sigma.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 1:28 PM   #242

A quick update for those who have enjoyed this thread. 2006 and 2007 have been very busy years for my husband and myself. We continue to do workshops on cruise ships and this has been the busiest year in the last 11 years. In between times we have sandwiched in randon workshops for our local Community College as well

We are now home for a month, so I will have time to sort through the thread and to update it as required if there is enough interest. Please remember that the K-10 had not even come to market when I started this thread, so it has become somewhat dated. What really makes this thread work is not me at all, but the input from all of the readers of this thread.

So let me know what you want to do with the thread.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 11, 2007, 3:09 PM   #243

There have been reports of problems with the Sigma EF 500DG flash when used with a K-10. The flash seems to loose track of the focal length of the camera and it begins to over expose wildly. The best reported fix is to do this:

1. turn of the EF-500DG flash

2. Turn off the K-10 camera

3. Detach the EF-500DG flash from the camera hotshoe

4. Carefully re-install the EF-500DG flash be careful with the pin alignment.

5. turn the K-10 camera back on

6. turn the EF-500DG flash back on again.

The flash should work properly once again.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 11, 2007, 6:00 PM   #244

'nuff said about the Digital Innovations flash. You confirmed my gut feeling about its quality. Thanks.

For one, I would love to see the thread expanded and updated, particularly as it pertains to the K10. Right now, I'm leaning very heavily toward the Sigma EF-500. I'm particularly interested to hear whether you think the extra $ 50-75 to move from the ST to the Super is worth it. Incidentally, I noted this morning that both Adorama and BH are backordered on the Sigma flashes. A reflection of the popularity of this particular flash with the K10/K100 ?

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:28 PM   #245

It is difficult to judge whether the surge on the Sigma EF-500DG is due to Pentax DSLR cameras, but that is a possibility. The Sigma EF-500DG is a very popular flash.

The Super version of this flash is usually the more popular. And it has amazing output. Are you thinking it might work well on the playing field? I believe that is possible if you are willing to increase your ISO setting. It will take some experimenting.

Right now, I am attempting to confirm that the Promaster 7500DX flash for Pentax is compatible with the K-10 for sure. The product description claims that it is compatible with BOTH P-TTL and TTL. So that is another possible flash. I will keep working on it.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:58 PM   #246
TDN

Nice that this got bumped again, very nice thread.

how much do those promaster P-TTL flashes go for new anyway? They aren't available in Belgium...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 8:15 PM   #247

Tom-

I found the Promaster 7500DX for Pentax today (11Aug07)at $(US) 229.95. The info claims it to be BOTH P-TTL and TTL compatible. that is a heck of lot better than the cost of the Pentax 540, that is running at about $(US) 330 to 350.

One nice feature of the Promater is that it has a small fill-in flash that is pretty darned effective at filling in when you are in say a 60 to 90 tilt on the head. Here is a look at the Promaster 7500DX flash for Pentax.
Attached Images

Old Aug 11, 2007, 8:39 PM   #248

Concerning the Promaster 7500DX Flash for Pentax:

I managed to find a tech service hot line at Promaster itself and I sent them an email asking specifically if the Promaster 7500DX for Pentax was fully compatible with the Pentax K-10.

They are a Monday through Friday operation, so I really don't expect an answer back from them until Monday (08/13). I fill keep everyone posted.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:35 PM   #249

Hi Sara

Welcome back!!! I was wondering what happened To you.

Again welcome Back!!!

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:53 AM   #250

Hello, Phil-

Well, we have been kept really busy with workshop bookings on the cruise ships, both this year and last year. But, as always having fun with our cameras.

Sarah Joyce