Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 12, 2007, 2:05 AM   #251

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Tom-

I found the Promaster 7500DX for Pentax today (11Aug07)at $(US) 229.95. The info claims it to be BOTH P-TTL and TTL compatible. that is a heck of lot better than the cost of the Pentax 540, that is running at about $(US) 330 to 350.

One nice feature of the Promater is that it has a small fill-in flash that is pretty darned effective at filling in when you are in say a 60 to 90 tilt on the head. Here is a look at the Promaster 7500DX flash for Pentax.
They FINALLY got one OUT!!!!!!!

Actually I have the older 7000M.... which even Promaster said could be problematic , even DAMAGING to Pentax Digitals.... which at least I find COMPLETE RUBBISH.... likely they just wanted to sell 5700DX's they got out quick but to 7000 series DX.

The 7000M cost me $30 used from B&H.... a great bargain and with a lot of use... no harm to camera. I have even measured the trigger voltage and it is a typical digital 5v... FAR for in any way damaging (Petax claims up to 30V cool)

So I am pretty convinnce they were just trying to get up sales for something they weren't even willing to get out the door.... or maybe hoping people would believe the BS, and buy the much lesser capable Pentax dedicated 5750DX, instead. Now the DX may have better capability, but that the M's were dangerous.... BS.

And while I have heard Promaster themselves refer to the problem, and MANY refere to that from PM, I have heard of NO doccumentation of a Pentax digital user ever claming such damage from a 7000M.

As far as I can tell though after 9 mo.... no problem with the 7000M.... works fine PTTL and all that, and also like the DX has the same 2nd selectable low power direct fill, flash for when you are doing bounce..
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:11 PM   #252

The Search for a 100% Compatible External Flash for the K-10D

Keep in mind that the Pentax Summertime Rebate Savings Program is valid from August 1st through Seotember 30th and the Pentax AF 540FGZ Flash is included in that rebate program.

With the AF 540FGZ selling for around $340 on the internet at www.buydig.com, the $100 rebate being offered by this Summertime Rebate program drops the price down to $240.00 (after you receive the rebate check, which usually takes 6 to 8 weeks) makes the Pentax AF 540FGZ flash rather competitive with the Promaster 7500DX flash (now $229 at www.camcor.com) which we still have not determined to be 100% compatible with the Pentax K-10D.

I think we can say with some certainity that the Pentax AF 540FGZ Flash is 100% compatible with the K-10D camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 9:53 PM   #253

Promaster's Answer to Our Inquiry:

There is our answer from Promaster. The Promaster 7500DX WILL NOT work 100% compatibly with the K-10D. So the best answer remains the Pentax AF 540FGZ for K-10D owners.

It is very fortunate that we have Pentax's Summertime Rebate Proram in place. Many thanks to Viz for passing on this information.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:26 PM   #254

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Incidentally, I noted this morning that both Adorama and BH are backordered on the Sigma flashes. A reflection of the popularity of this particular flash with the K10/K100 ?

It could also be that at least the 500 Super is being superceded by the new EF530 which has about the same specs. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:24 AM   #255

I believe you are correct, Scott-

That is exactly what happens at model change over time. And everyone seems to be out of stock at the sametime.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 29, 2007, 6:56 AM   #256

BUMP

and reference the Promaster thread

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...=80&page=1

Dal

BTW this really needs to be a sticky!!!!
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 6:11 PM   #257

bump,
it's been awhile.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:41 PM   #258

Hi to all - I'm the new kid on the block. I've invested a lot of time and energy on trying to determine if my Sunpak auto 383 super is safe to use on my *ist DL. I've followed instructions on how to measure the trigger voltage but came up with a voltage not anywhere near anyone else's.

From what I've seen here it seems to be safe but the best results are when using it manually. Am I on the same page as all of you?
dcgibson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:45 AM   #259

DCB,, you got a name??? also where are you from?? please update your profile.

what's your tested voltage for the flash?? with the ratings from HEREit seems you are quite safe with the 383. always ck before using a any flash..

enjoy,
roy
edit:::: welcome to the forum. your ?? will be answered here..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:51 AM   #260

Hi dc,

Welcome to the forum!

You didn't mention what voltage you measured from your 383. If it's not freaky high, I wouldn't worry too much about your DL, but realize that your 383 copy might have a defect that could raise the voltage. If your copy varies significantly from the norm, you might want to contact Sunpak -- they might be able to shed some light :| :? on the subject.

There have been a number of posts on different fora saying how they talked to Pentax Tech in different areas of the world and got different voltages, but with the *istD series bodies, the consensus seems to be 30V. The K series digital bodies might be different (6V), but the jury seems to still be out -- with most agreeing that it's better to be safe than sorry, and assume 6V, with possibly a couple of extra volts leeway.

I'm no flash tech, but I don't think that there's any difference in trigger voltage between manual and auto mode with any flash, so If I were you, I'd use the auto mode. Manual flash calculations are something I don't want to have to think about when shooting with an external flash - I'm usually confused enough as it is. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote