Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:06 PM   #261

My name is Dennis and I live in Santa Barbara, CA. I followed some directions I found onlineabout how to measure the trigger voltage.On a multi range analog voltmeterthat I use for testing battery voltages the needle stayed in about the same place on all three ranges (1 volt, 3 volts and 10 volts). I've seen figures from about 3.8 volts to over 10 volts. None of my readings came anywhere close to 3.8 volts (mine weremuch lower). From what I've read here and on another forum it seems that using the Sunpak 383 Superwith some of the Pentax digitalsis OK but I'd like to hear from someone who has successfully used onewith a *ist DL before I attempt it.
dcgibson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:21 AM   #262

Hi snostorm -for some reason I didn't see your post before replying. I haven't participatedin forums in a long time. I guess I'm a little rusty.

I've seen a number of people say that they use a 383 on Pentax digitals but none of themthat I've seenare using it on a *ist DL. The camera actually belongs to my wife; she paid for it with money she got as a Christmas bonus.

There's no huge rush for an answer. I shota graduation awhile back and the built in flash didn't get the job done. I have two otherSunpaks; one is an auto 30DX with a PT-1D (for Pentax)module.The modulementions the LX and some of the M series cameras from way back. It also says "for all other hot shoe mount regular cameras". It has three pins on the bottom. It's relatively old but looks new. The other is at work so I don't have the model number.

Here's probably the best answer;I wouldn't have to worry:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Flash-fo...QQcmdZViewItem

I've bought a lot of equipment (including the *ist DL) from them; they are super honest and ethical. They are big enough (over 200,000 eBay auctions with 99.8% positive feedback plus they have a brick and mortar store) to have gotten some major manufacturer to make this for them. There's no brand name. I realize the "guide number" isn't a real guide number but I'm sure it would do for my purposes.

The Promised Flash Thread looks like something I can learn a lot from. Sarah/mtclimber seems extremely knowledgeable. I may not be on here much as the holidays approach. My wife is going through chemotherapy for breast cancer and I'm having to do more things around the house; she gets tired more easily than before. She will be OK; the chemotherapy is just a precaution.

Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:39 PM   #263

dcgibson55 wrote:
Quote:
My name is Dennis and I live in Santa Barbara, CA. I followed some directions I found onlineabout how to measure the trigger voltage.On a multi range analog voltmeterthat I use for testing battery voltages the needle stayed in about the same place on all three ranges (1 volt, 3 volts and 10 volts). I've seen figures from about 3.8 volts to over 10 volts. None of my readings came anywhere close to 3.8 volts (mine weremuch lower). From what I've read here and on another forum it seems that using the Sunpak 383 Superwith some of the Pentax digitalsis OK but I'd like to hear from someone who has successfully used onewith a *ist DL before I attempt it.
Your analogue meter is low input impedance which is causing it to drastically reduce the real open circuit voltage and effectively measure current instead of voltage. You need a DVM to get a real reading.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:08 PM   #264

OK. Thanks for the tip. I have one but it's at work so I'll bring it home and try again. The instructions I followed made no mention of it needing to be done bywith a digital voltmeter.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:47 PM   #265

i've had good results from both. in other words-- the same reading whether analog or digital. i do however use a digital now..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:56 AM   #266

Bump

For possibly the most useful thread on the whole forum...

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 6:58 PM   #267

That useful thread again

Dal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/
Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:43 PM   #268
TDN

Since some flash topics came up again: bumping this useful thread again.

a small thread on wireless triggers: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

Gadgetinfinity (they sell on ebay too), makes some cheap wireless transmitters/receivers for using multiple flashes off camera.

go to gadgetinfinity.com

Just ordered a set of these myself, will post results here.

Both Ira (monza76) and Illuminati have them, and have gotten good results.

Tom

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:30 PM   #269

BUMP.

Any up dates Tom??

Dal
Old Jul 30, 2008, 6:23 PM   #270
TDN

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
BUMP.

Any up dates Tom??

Dal
Actually, yes.

The gadget infinity triggers are really coming in handy!

I did a shoot with them and they are really reliable up to about 30 feet.

Here are some results: (more in the strobist category of my site: http://tdn9.be/?cat=36 )

Some of my favs so far:

Tom

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote