Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:22 PM   #31

I am in the same boat as Gfurm more or less. I want to get a K100D when Pentax UK decide we're fit to have them and would rather not spend out on a new external P-TTL flash, but would like to use a 20+yr old Nissin auto thyristor flash (10v trigger voltage) with the camera in manual mode and the flash in auto. I've used it this way very successfully for a couple of years with an Olympus C750 with very few exposure problems. So, has anyone yet tried a K100D with a simple auto flash?
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:39 PM   #32

SteveB-

"with the camera in manual and the flash in auto" that maybe a tip that gfrum can use. Thanks for adding that tip.

Yes, Ithink that the Nissan flash might be able to be used. The only thing I am concerned with is the 10volt trigger voltage. Somewhere in the far reaches of my mind, I recall keeping the trigger voltage to 6 volts. I will check on that.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:51 PM   #33

10 volts is NO problem, at all.. as far as the auto thys. thats what iwas using for quite awhile. just use the aperture for the distance the flash says to use. i used an auto thy. vivitar 3500 without a dedicated module. for regular flash photography it'll work great. for macros you'll have to experiment..

sara, like i said --i just got the 500super so all the prices were still in my head..

roy
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:03 PM   #34

Thanks everyone, I'll tryauto on flashtomorrow (going to work now). I think this thread should be made sticky so we won't have to look for it in couple weeks.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:29 PM   #35

Hi All,

Apparently there are two Promaster P-TTL models available now -- the 5750 DX and the 5550 DX, They are generic pre-flash compatible bodies which take the same module to make them compatible with the Pentax DSLRs. The good news (for macro guys) is that Promaster also offers a ring flash (don't know if it's available yet) that will take the same module, making it the only mfg that offers P-TTL in that configuration. They also make a dedicated flash -- the 7500DX (no seperate module), but I don't see it available for Pentax yet.

And no, I don't have one, but have read reports that they work pretty well.

Scott

Fred666 wrote:
Quote:
Seems we have;

Sigma 500 DG Super

Sigma 500 DG ST

Pentax540 AF FGZ

Pentax 360 AF FGZ

Metz has apparently put their P-TTL flash on hold, although there is supposed to be a new Promaster out soon.

Darren

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 2:58 PM   #36

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Apparently there are two Promaster P-TTL models available now -- the 5750 DX and the 5550 DX, They are generic pre-flash compatible bodies which take the same module to make them compatible with the Pentax DSLRs. The good news (for macro guys) is that Promaster also offers a ring flash (don't know if it's available yet) that will take the same module, making it the only mfg that offers P-TTL in that configuration. They also make a dedicated flash -- the 7500DX (no module), but I don't see it available for Pentax yet.

And no, I don't have one, but have read reports that they woek pretty well.

Scott

i don't like the ring flashes because of all the depth you lose and yes i have one..

thanks for the promaster tip. i'll go look. they'll probably be half the cost of the super i just bought..

roy
Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:23 PM   #37

Hi Sarah,

You're doing a great service to attempt to bring some clarity to the confusion caused by the mfgs' advancing (or at least changing) flash technology, but not really explaining it.

I've delved ito this flash thing pretty thoroughly, and had come to the conclusion that the difference between the two modes was purely the pre-flash (and the additional in-camera sensor involved), and didn't realize that the sensor on the flash had anything to do with it, but I ran a little informal test, blocking the AF360FGZ's little on-flash sensor with my finger, and there is indeed a difference (albeit a small one -- at least in this instance).

So thanks for furthering my admittedly limited understanding of how all this flash stuff actually functions -- I've always found that the better I understand how my equipment works, the more control I have over it.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:43 PM   #38

Generally it would seem no to the Nissin.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Darren

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:55 PM   #39

Thanks, Darren!

I appreciate you researching on that Nissan flash.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:42 PM   #40

Fred666 wrote:
Quote:
Generally it would seem no to the Nissin.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Darren

not necessarily true. depends on the model. i've also been told twice on the phone with pentaxUSA that the istD series is good to 300 volts of trigger voltage. however i've seen reports from pentaxEU that it's 30volts. think i'll stick with the lower value.

roy