Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:08 PM   #41

If anyone is interested in more chatter on TTL and P-TTL there is a thread on the www.dpreview.com pentax SLR fourm about it, complete with pro's and con's.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:09 PM   #42

Thanks Sarah for these lessons. Most of the photography "how to" articles assume the reader more advanced in knowledge than I am. I have not yet bought my camera but your post will sure keep me from spending money on the wrong flash attachment.

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:38 PM   #43

Thanks, Non-

That is the whole purpose of the thread. We want to help people make better buying decisions, and to help show them how to use that equipment. I like your new avatar. Have you flown the B-24?

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 31, 2006, 3:25 PM   #44

Ok I'm finally here - takes me a while to catch-up. First point directly to Sarah. You can see by the popularity of the thread that it is not for nought and hopefully accept my gratitude along with the rest of the non/experts on the subject matter.

I would like to suggest a couple of things, along with the previous suggestion of *sticking these threads, and that is: 1. Would you separate the Lessons so we can respond specifically to a lesson and, 2. Would people identify which model they refer to or have so that the posts become easier to read.

Now with my comments and questions keeping in mind I have the istD.

A. Was lesson 1 not addressed to istD owners? My flash doesn't pop and I got lost even though I reread the Lesson.

B. Did I miss something in Lesson 2 was it just an explation of what P-TTL and TTL is?

The good thing about this sort of tutorial is that they address the brand new users and are superior to what the manual tries to explain and very poorly I might add.

Note to all - does anyone remember where it was I saw images of how to test the strength of the flashtrigger voltage?
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:56 PM   #45

The link you are after is on here

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

an invaluable source of info and a great refernce point for when the flashguns appear on the cursed ebay.

Darren
Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:15 PM   #46

tested the sigma500super-- 2.5-3volts.

edit: tested again and i was wrong. it's 4.5v
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:52 PM   #47

Fred666 wrote:
Quote:
The link you are after is on here
Thanks Darren,not the one. I saw images of the tester and where to hold the pinsto actually test the flash. It actually showed the readout on the tester. I got so many shortcuts and links and so disorganised these days.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:19 PM   #48

the negative is on the side of the mount. the positive id the center pin on the bottom..

roy
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:14 PM   #49

jaycee-

Flash compensation is really there on your *1st D camera.

The problem I face is attempting to adapt this Flash Thread to every Pentax DSLR. At my own expense I have managed to gather up the DS, the DL, and the K100D. I just can't find a *1st D. I will try to download the Camera Manual, just as Roy is doing.

Because all the built-in Flashes are essentially the same, I could do Lesson 1 whith out much model differentiation. In Lesson 2, I really took great pains to separate everything out specifically by model.

Our goal here is to provide some solid learning for ALL of the readers and visitors to our Pentax DSLR folder. We also want to save people some money by purchasing the right equipment. I had great co-operation from a good number of folks in coming up with exactly which flash units were useable on the various cameras, and their prices.

Roy has be a very paintient saint by helping me every step of the way with this project. I truly believe thatthis Flash Threadhas taken a good direction and is a pretty solid source of good, easy to read information than camn be applied quite specifically to each reader's camera.

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:08 PM   #50

jc, i d/l the D manual and can't find a setting for itbut i know i've seen a thread somewhere that discussed the topic.. flip your flash up and see if when you use the wheel next to the ae-l button if it will go into flash mode for over/under exp. try pushing the button also when scrolling the button..