Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:22 PM   #51

Thanks so very much, Roy-

I can't take credit for this Flash Thread. It is you and I all the way. You have been a very patient saint in helping me through this.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:44 AM   #52

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Non-

That is the whole purpose of the thread. We want to help people make better buying decisions, and to help show them how to use that equipment. I like your new avatar. Have you flown the B-24?

MT/Sarah

Hi Sarah,

No, not I. My grandfather was an engineer/top gunner on 24s during WW II. I have some pictures of he and I touring the one that is still flying. Next year I hope to have my son along and maybe my Dad and get all four generations in a picture in front of a B24.

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:09 AM   #53

Thanks, M/T Sarah, Roy, and Darren. My Sigma 500 DG is on the way. Wish I could have sprung for the Super, but maybesomeday down the road. You guys helped me decide which one would work for what I like to do, and helped me decide to stop putting up with the frustrating make-it-do system I was using. I appreciate your guidance.

Regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:38 PM   #54

Non-

I am sure it would be a real thrill to havefour generations there in attendance! I have also done a bit of flying. I was one of the first women trained by the Navy after WW II. I also flew for Trans World Airlines for 32 years, and retired as a Boeing 747 Captain.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:40 PM   #55

Lawrence-

That will be the External Flash that we will be using for our External Flash Lesson. So, we will be able to help you get the most out of that flash.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:03 PM   #56

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Fred666 wrote:
Quote:
The link you are after is on here
Thanks Darren,not the one. I saw images of the tester and where to hold the pinsto actually test the flash. It actually showed the readout on the tester. I got so many shortcuts and links and so disorganised these days.

Maybe this one would help http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=53

Darren
Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:46 PM   #57

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Non-

I am sure it would be a real thrill to havefour generations there in attendance! I have also done a bit of flying. I was one of the first women trained by the Navy after WW II. I also flew for Trans World Airlines for 32 years, and retired as a Boeing 747 Captain.

MT/Sarah
That sounds pretty neat Sarah. I don't want to divert your flash thread towards anything else because I am finding the on topic info too useful ;-). I did notice from your homepage that you are a pretty frequent cruiser. Since we cruise at least once per year, once I actually have a camera in hand I might start a new thread on best lenses to take on a cruise!

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:18 PM   #58

Non-

I have a lot of cruising experience, over 500 cruises. So I would be happy to contribute to that thread. The kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mmmake a nice compact pair of lenses that are easy to travel with on a cruise.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:21 PM   #59

Dr. C wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, M/T Sarah, Roy, and Darren. My Sigma 500 DG is on the way. Wish I could have sprung for the Super, but maybesomeday down the road. You guys helped me decide which one would work for what I like to do, and helped me decide to stop putting up with the frustrating make-it-do system I was using. I appreciate your guidance.

Regards, Lawrence
doc,
i think you'll enjoy the DG!!!
for the price it's great.... i just wanted the bells and whistles of the super. unfortunately, it wiped out my paypal mad account.... looks like i need to sell off some items. i've a few if anyone is interested...... of course they've been ckecked out..

roy
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:26 PM   #60

Flash Thread Lesson 3

I am sort of in a holding pattern awaiting the arrival of other equipment. So this lesson is sort of a a fill-in of sorts. After hearing more than a few complaints that the built-in flashis too harsh, I decided to do a bit of DIY experimenting with a no cost modification to the built-in flash.

My reasoning was that if I cut up a frosted plastic milk bottle and put that home made difusser over the face of the built-in flash, perhaps I could spread the light into a both difussed and wider pattern.

Here is a photo of the DIY difusser in place.

I then moved over to my "studio" and took an existing light photo with no flash. That way we could have some beginning comparison photo. Here is how that looked.

8/02/06 Addition! Here is the existing light photo taken with my new K100D. The result is amazing! You can see how the K100D's Anti Shake kicked in and produced a tack sharp photo right out of the camera. All I did was to crop and re-size this photo. Study the two photos. The difference is amazing.

Next, I took a photousing my DS and the bare/no difusser built-in flash. Here is how it looked.

Then I took my comparison photo using the scotch taped difusser on face of my DS's built-in flash. Here is how it looked.

This is a sample from the NEW K100D camera with difusser. Note the slightly different white balance created with the new in-camera processing of .jpg images.

I honestly don't think that my DIY/No Cost difusser made much difference. It did reduce the flash output of my built in flash, because I had to add +0.5 exposure compensation to the difuser photo. But I believe that the difusser effect was minimal to just a bit of difussion. I will be interested to hear your comments

MT/Sarah