Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:29 PM   #71

Flash Thread Lesson 3 Upgraded! 08/02!

Because the Pentax D100D camera arrived today. I went ahead and up dated Lesson 3 by adding a K100D photo using the difusser as well.

The output from the camera's new firmware when dealing with a .jpg image seems a good deal different to me. I will detail more of the K100D new features in a separate thread. Suffice to say right now that The K100D when using "auto ISO", another new feature chose a 1/45th shutter speed with an ISO setting of 200.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:33 PM   #72

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Flash Thread Lesson 3 Upgraded! 08/02!

Because the Pentax D100D camera arrived today. I went ahead and up dated Lesson 3 by adding a K100D photo using the difusser as well.

The output from the camera's new firmware when dealing with a .jpg image seems a good deal different to me. I will detail more of the K100D new features in a separate thread. Suffice to say right now that The K100D when using "auto ISO", another new feature chose a 1/45th shutter speed with an ISO setting of 200.

MT/Sarah

What is new about the "auto ISO" setting? My DL2 has auto ISO, which can also be within a set range.

Darren

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 5:00 PM   #73

Dareen-

You are very correct, the minimally distributed (in the USA) DS2 did have the "auto iso" feature, but it is new to DS and DL folks.

Thanks for working with me to keep this up to date.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 2, 2006, 5:09 PM   #74

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Dareen-

You are very correct, the minimally distributed (in the USA) DS2 did have the "auto iso" feature, but it is new to DS and DL folks.

Thanks for working with me to keep this up to date.

MT/Sarah
it's not that new to the ds. it came with the firmware update along with continuous focus. i'll post a difusser pic later.

roy
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:26 PM   #75

this is my macro rig with the sigma 500 on it. i still haven't tried the HSS but at 1/180 it works as good as my af400ftz. the difusser is a suppliment bottle that fits the 400 perfectly w/o altering it. i was too big for the sigma so i cut the corners up about 3/4'' and then outward from the end of the first cut to form a T. the edges can then be bent together , overlapping, to make the opening smaller. some electrical tape keeps it to the right size so it just slips on and off.. clik the TN for larger pic.

roy
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:27 PM   #76

of course i guess i could shoot with this rig. actually i just thought of it. i'll have to see what it'll do and if it's worth the weight.

roy
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:37 PM   #77

forgot to say, for a great difusser for the onboard flash, take one of the 35mm film canisters that were white and cut it in half but not all the way thru so you can open it up and slip on the onboard flash.

roy
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:46 PM   #78

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I honestly don't think that my DIY/No Cost difusser made much difference. It did reduce the flash output of my built in flash, because I had to add +0.5 exposure compensation to the difuser photo. But I believe that the difusser effect was minimal to just a bit of difussion. I will be interested to hear your comments

MT/Sarah

OK, since I am a complete camera noob, I reckon I don't have to worry about losing face by throwing my two cents in. I think there is some difference, though not great. The purplish pinks (I am sure there is correct color name that only girls know) in the flowers are just a little deeper in the picture with the diffuser. The grain of the wood at the closest corner of the chest is slightly more defined in the picture using the diffuser. I also noticed the picture without flash looked "soft" (the right term for slightly blurry right?).

The K100 picture is so dramatically different all of the others look identical. The paneling goes from having a walnut stain appearance to looking like a cherry stain. The colors of the flowers are much deeper and the chest also looks like it has a different finish.

I am curious, which photo best represents what your eye sees? Just judging from that one example I would tend to prefer the *ist photos, unless the K100 is actually more accurate.

Thank you,

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:59 PM   #79

OK, Non-

Here is what I did. The K100D like most Pentax DSLR's is defaulted to the Vivid color Mode. I just switched the K100D to Natural Color and re-took the existing light photo shown in Lesson 3 with the K100D using the kit lens. Then the only things I did to the image was to crop the image so it looks like the other photos in Lesson 3 and to resize it for posting.

You will notice that this photo, taken with the K100D instead of my DS, is tack sharp and the change to the Natural ColorMode has made this image very close indeed to the actual colors. So it is easy to see that the AS was working nicely.

Thanks again for you comments.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:50 AM   #80

Thank you Sarah. I agree, that last picture is the most appealing of them all. Following this and the K100 thread are definately steering me towards the K100. It appears the AS and other improvements are worth the premium over the DL. Thank you again,

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote