Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:18 PM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

robar wrote:
Quote:
what program are you using?

roy
In answer to your question, I am using Picassa for just all my photo editing these days. I do not believe Picassa has this feature. In any event, what does duplicate layering achieve...i.e. increase in sharpness, saturation, etc?? Can you show me a before and after shot with just the duplicate layering being the only change?

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:27 PM   #12

if i did that it woud look exactly like the first layer. it's a copy of the first layer. this is all in the same window the image is being displayed. you are , like pasting the same image on top of the 1st.. let me go to my desktop and do a quickie.

roy
Old Jul 30, 2006, 1:45 PM   #13

ok, layers101, this moth is how i like it. it's already been processed but i'll use it as an example. what i'm showing is how to increase the saturation of the entire image and the advantage of using two layers. the first pic is the original , the second one is where a duplicate layer has been put on top of the original and the saturation on the top layer has reall been cranked up. it's obvious that it is way too saturated.. but by going over to the layers palette and chosing that layer i can adjust the opacity of the saturated layer. here i lowered it to 32% so the bottom layer is shining thru. to me it is still too saturated but this is an example. so, say i like this i'll next flatten the image and end up with the final pic.
Attached Images

Old Jul 30, 2006, 5:17 PM   #14

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Got it Roy! Thanks for the clear and concise tutorial...the before and after picutres explained it well. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 5:49 PM   #15

i'll start a new thread on good free graphics programs. i can think of two right now.. picassa is more of an organizer instead of a full fledged graphic program.