Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:50 PM   #11
TDN

Oh you gotta be kidding me. In the time I spent doubting someone got it before me!

Ah well...guess I'll wait until he has them in stock again.

Or maybe...

Roy, that set you linked, are you sure it's for A lenses? Like I said I'd like to use the kit lens with it...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:17 PM   #12

NO!! it is only mechanically coupled. not electronically. this is the type set i have. 18usd is a good price for them but they will not work on the kit lens except at maximum aperture..
Old Jul 31, 2006, 2:04 AM   #13

TDN, it clearly says KA/KAF on the tube, but also clearly there are no contacts or AF coupler on the tubes in the picture. Look at your kit lens and compare. I'm pretty sure there's something fishy in this, I think you would have been disappointed if you had bought them. (Even if the price was attractive anyway)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:14 AM   #14

I just removed the glass from my mediocre Takumar 2X teleconverter. Now I have an A-series auto aperture extension tube of about 26mm. Since it is a Pentax product I have full capabilities. The original $50 price amortized over the 20 years I have owned it makes it a very good deal indeed.

BTW I did use the teleconverter extensively with the 135mm lens in my film days.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:29 AM   #15

My set is a Kenko Automatic Extension Tube Set, that does have electrical contacts and does AF although I never use the AF, just the aperture connection, which is nice.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:48 AM   #16

The price was good - if the AE worked. There are always others out there.

I've had troubles convincing myself that it's OK to buy a lens that won't work on all my other K-Mount Pentaxes. The upward and downward compatibility is one of the reasons I've enjoyed using Pentax products since the '60s, and I've avoided buying "crippled" lenses without apperture rings. Not that I shoot much film these days, but if I want to .... This means that the "new" lenses (F and FA) I've bought for my D all work just fine on my Z-1.

For years, when I wanted to take macro shots, I used my SP with screw mount extensions. Stop-down metering. No AE. No AF. Just great results.

Then, I came upon a NIB F 100 2.8 macro for a reasonable price and succumbed to LBA. So what if I use it mainly as a portrait lens, it brought me into the new millenium for macros and taught me much about the biology of flowers.

Unfortunately, it opened a new world of digital macros for which the equivalent of a 150 lens isn't always the best way to shoot. This meant a new set of extension tubes. Luckily this happened when Adorama had demo Kenko set available.

Robar: hot - Dallas - summer. Seems normal to me. Watch out. People can (and do) die from inappropriate extensive exposure to heat. Hope you are better long before it gets cooler here.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:49 AM   #17

The price was good - if the AE worked. There are always others out there.

I've had troubles convincing myself that it's OK to buy a lens that won't work on all my other K-Mount Pentaxes. The upward and downward compatibility is one of the reasons I've enjoyed using Pentax products since the '60s, and I've avoided buying "crippled" lenses without apperture rings. Not that I shoot much film these days, but if I want to .... This means that the "new" lenses (F and FA) I've bought for my D all work just fine on my Z-1.

For years, when I wanted to take macro shots, I used my SP with screw mount extensions. Stop-down metering. No AE. No AF. Just great results.

Then, I came upon a NIB F 100 2.8 macro for a reasonable price and succumbed to LBA. So what if I use it mainly as a portrait lens, it brought me into the new millenium for macros and taught me much about the biology of flowers.

Unfortunately, it opened a new world of digital macros for which the equivalent of a 150 lens isn't always the best way to shoot. This meant a new set of extension tubes. Luckily this happened when Adorama had demo Kenko set available.

Robar: hot - Dallas - summer. Seems normal to me. Watch out. People can (and do) die from inappropriate extensive exposure to heat. Hope you are better long before it gets cooler here.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:15 PM   #18
TDN

There, bought the set you linked Roy.
It really is a good price. Got me a lens hood for my Tokina telezoom while I had the shipping discount too Only cost me a good 30$, shipping included.

Now it's on the lookout for a good prime, since I won't be using the kit lens with the tubes.

What focal length do you recommend? I can get a pretty good deal on a 1.8 50mm, as well as on a 2.8 135mm.
I had a 35mm in mind (since I really like the angle it would give me), but there's something wrong with it's aperture blades, so I'm not going to risk it.

I still have the 70-210 Tokina, would that be any good?

I can't wait to start playing around with them.:|

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:31 PM   #19

you'll have to try the zoom. between the other two here's whats diff.
with the 50mm at close focus w/50mm ext tube the front of the lens will be about 2'' from the subject. with the 135mm you will get less magnification w/50mm ext tube but the distance will be 8-10''. add the other ext tube and you'll get about the same distance but more mag. personlly, i like the 50mm lens BUT! you can't use the onboard flash. flash is almost a must.. with the 135mm you'll be far enough away to use the onboard. this was shot with a 200mm with about 30'' of distance using the onboard flash. so i guess it's up to you. if you get the 135mm , do not get the takumar(bayonet) f2.5, 52mm filterthat has the writing on the outside of the barrel. it's pretty soft. the other 135 f2.5 has the writing on the front of the lens 58mm filter. it's the good one and probably cost you 200usd.

so it's you decision
Attached Images