Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:46 AM   #21

BTW one quick recommendation, buy Pentax. Pentax and Takumar lenses were built specifically for Pentax cameras and, as such, do not suffer from some of the problems associated with non-Pentax lenses (such as the built-for-Ricoh stuck lens issue). In early AF lenses it is an issue of electronic compatability, some third party lenses do not communicate properly with the camera sometimes resulting in very minor exposure problems. A, F and FA Pentax are the best choices. Even my Takumar-F zoom (a real cheapie) gives excellent results.

I have found an old Sigma AF 28-80mm that worked on the MZ-7 but would not auto focus on the DL (have no idea why but suspect it is an issue with electronic communication). And I find that my FA and DA lenses consistently produce better exposures than my new Sigma (the Sigma will underexpose). Maybe this is a fluke with my lens (it is the troublesome 24-135mm that many people had to return, mine does work well). If you look at the EXIF data for these third party lenses you will find that they identify themselves as some Pentax lens or other, my 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 Sigma tells the camera that it is a Pentax-F 28-80mm f3.5-4.5!! Interesting when you then read the shot was at 135mm (that still records properly).

I hope to start collecting some interesting Pentax A-series lenses when I can afford it.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:17 AM   #22

This info is exactly what I need.

Yesterday I stopped by at a pawn shop and got myself a KS Super Sears body (Ricoh)
with the lens mentioned above (Ricoh) AND Pentax SMC-M 50mm/F2 for $50.
(good I did not try the Ricoh lens on the body).

Pretty exciting. Can any of you point me to that guy's web site with the history of Pentax lens, often mentioned in forums?

P.S. I am a digital SLR newbie coming from C*n*n film SLR. Good I am able to reuse
the remote controller:-)

Attached Images

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:37 AM   #23

DigitalAddict, check out the Ricoh lens, if it does not have a P setting on the aperture ring it may be compatable with your camera (check and see if the entire mount area is exactly like the Pentax-M). I have two old Rikenon XR lenses that work fine because they are first generation Ricoh K-mount, before they started to do their own thing with the mount.

Ira

BTW I want your camera!

Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:25 PM   #24

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
Can any of you point me to that guy's web site with the history of Pentax lens, often mentioned in forums?

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/

also have a look at this:

http://stans-photography.info/

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:41 PM   #25

Apreciated.

I will probably make an extensive list with the lenses so I have it handy when going to a pawn shop next time (those to avoid as well).

Boy, I never thought it will come to this, LBA that is :-). It is all your fault.

I spent the last 3-4 months reading this and other Pentax forums before deciding on K100D. I need a vacation:-)

Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:51 PM   #26

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
I need a vacation:-)
Don't forget to bring your camera... and the lens list, who knows what you might bump into...

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:18 PM   #27

This image probably won't look good here, but you should see it full size. This was shot with the 50mm f1.7 M lens at f1.7, the DOF is miniscule but the exact centre of the frame is in sharp focus, honestly.

Ira
Attached Images

Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:33 PM   #28

Being a newbie I am yet to discover opportunities where a faster than F2.8 setting will be desirable for a non-macro lens (not sure about macro either).

Can you share some from your experience?

Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:45 PM   #29
TDN

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
Being a newbie I am yet to discover opportunities where a faster than F2.8 setting will be desirable for a non-macro lens (not sure about macro either).

Can you share some from your experience?

concerts!
At a concert every fstop you can get is one you can use...

I'm saving up for a good concert lens, because with my current equipment I'm a little short. My ratio of useable images at a concert drops down to about 1 out of 10, while I'm usually able to get a good 1 out of 3 in other situations.

It's a hard, but also a fun branch of photography, once you get into it.

check here to see what I mean:
http://www.tdn9.be/photo.php?id=17
http://www.tdn9.be/photo.php?id=20

From that first one I had an awesome shot, yet it was unuseable because a too slow shutter speed and out of focus-blur. If I had had a 1.4 or 1.7 lens in that case, it would have been the shot of the year (see attached img)

TDN
Attached Images

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:05 PM   #30

I was indoors and trying to take pictures of trophies behind glass. I was using a polarizer to cut down on the glare, and the 1.7 lens I was using allowed me to keep the shutter speed fast enough to avoid camera shake.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote