Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:50 AM   #1

I'm still trying out my new *ist DL and have noticed a strange mark off center on nearly all photos. I say nearly because the mark sometimes may be so soft it can be mistaken for image noise and can barely be seen. It seems to happen on any iso and two different lenses, flash or no flash. It is a cross 3x3 pixels at the 23.375" w and 13.875" position. I have attached a cropped sample of what I am seeing. Anyone know about this?

Jon
Attached Images

jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:30 AM   #2

Can't be dust otherwise it would come out as black. I am thinking it is a hot pixel or a dead pixel on your sensor...

I would take it back under warranty and get it checked out either way.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 4:53 AM   #3

ditto probably a hot pixel
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:00 AM   #4

I have a few hot pixels in my DS2, especially noticeable at high ISO (1600 or 3200). The color varies. Sharpening makes them more obvious. I've just learned where they are, and a quick application of the Healing Brush in PSE3 takes care of it. Not sure what the threshold is for qualifying for warranty repair...

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:07 PM   #5

I am hearing bells in my head...somewhere in my dark past I read that 1 or 2 pixels is acceptable, but never the less, take it back and complain, I bet you they will honour the warranty.

When you consider there is 6.1 million pixels and you have 1 that is hot, that is proabbly the best failure rate you will ever get.

I bet car and computer manufacturers can't guarantee 1 failure in 6.1 models. :lol:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:02 PM   #6

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I am hearing bells in my head...somewhere in my dark past I read that 1 or 2 pixels is acceptable, but never the less, take it back and complain, I bet you they will honour the warranty.

When you consider there is 6.1 million pixels and you have 1 that is hot, that is probably the best failure rate you will ever get.

I bet car and computer manufacturers can't guarantee 1 failure in 6.1 models. :lol:
I believe they use a method where they map the 'dead/hot' pixels so that only good pixels are used to create the sensor.

It can't be right to have an image sensor where there are obvious shortcomings.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote