Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 344
Default

I've just bought a new K100D 2 hours ago. Well, the reasons for that is I am still trying to hope a new Pentax DSLR body can be improved, for AF and AE (which I have heard to be in certain extent, so far, including those die-hard Pentaxians who insisted that the exposure of their *ist Dx camera were perfect now have said that their new K100D is better) and now that I have new SR function, a larger LCD (but a smaller viewfinder), a wider view LCD and the ability to display selected ISO speed (by camera automatically or by user) and etc..

Well, but in view of my maybe stringent requirements and my in-born tendency of measurabation, I shall update my homepage http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh at appropriate time! More will come.. and I'll be back!

Cheers,
RiceHigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Peacekeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,024
Default

RH


Good to hear from you, I thought you had dropped off the face of the earth.

I had a play with one the other day, my camera man gave me one to go for a walk about and I took a few shots and played with the menus. I like it, familiar but different.

I look forward to your comparisons between the old and new.

Crash


Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

RiceHigh-

Please give us your expert feedback on the new Pentax K100D. I used your paper on P-TTL versus TTL Flash as one of my sources when I was completing the research for Lesson 2 in the Flash thread.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Peacekeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,024
Default

I forgot to mention ealrier, I like the red LED confirmation in the lens when focusing similar to the N*k*n.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 344
Default

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
RH


Good to hear from you, I thought you had dropped off the face of the earth.

I had a play with one the other day, my camera man gave me one to go for a walk about and I took a few shots and played with the menus. I like it, familiar but different.

I look forward to your comparisons between the old and new.

Crash

Well, I'm still here on Earth! ;-)

I have tested my new K100D roughly, at indoor and outdoor under an overcast day. The K100D is surely overall a much better DSLR, it has been elliminated for so many those *ist Dx problems which I found:- http://www.epinions.com/content_221813968516

My short observations are:
1. Underexposure problem has been tackled, now that the image are exposed more even spread throughout the whole light spectrum. I have tried the same model of lenses on both K100 and *ist DS and found that the K100D is *always* a quarter (of the histogram) brighter for those typical underexposed scenes such as tungsten environment and overcase enviroment (which have strong red or blue light);

2. AF is more accurate, although still not absolute with my fast prime last FA*85/1.4;

3. AF is faster with NiMH rechargeable (I used Sanyo 2500 mAH ones) and no big difference when CR-V3 / RCR-V3 is used. It seems that the NiMH battery problem has been resolved. The K100D is not so battery voltage dependent as those older Pentax DSLRs used to be;

4. Higher rised RTF (built-in flash) is a credit for larger lenses like the DA 16-45. Despite the user manual of K100D still says vignetting may occur at 28mm (same as what is claimed for the DS), I now found that the vignetting only occurs at 24mm for the 16-45;

5. ISO speed can now be displayed when pressing the Ok button (which the function can be changed at one of the custom functions). The displayed ISO includes the Auto ISO chosen by the camera or manual ISO selected by the user);

6. The K100D feels more filmsy than the *ist DS though which undoubtly is more solid in hand. The more filmsy part of the K100D is the RTF part, I must say;

7. I am still adapting to the smaller viewfinder of the K100D which I think is very good already for those DSLRs at its grade (better than 350D and D50, etc.);

8. In-camera jpeg is sharper, with more details (resolution) plus more sharpening (actually I found that it is by some kind of USM algorithm which the sharpening areas in the image is selective). When compared with the jpegs of *ist Dx, I think those crappy in-camera jpegs has gone;

9. Images reproduced looks whiter than those *ist Dx images which tends to look a little bit yellowish.

p.s. the read AF indication is a standard *ist D and DS feature, not a Nikon one :-).

Well, it seems that Pentax do try hard to tackle all the problems I reported over years at my homepage and Epinions but just that they opted to NOT reply to my enquiry and letters for even once!

BTW, I shall formally write a full review at my homepage and Epinions when I have the time.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 344
Default

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
RiceHigh-

Please give us your expert feedback on the new Pentax K100D. I used your paper on P-TTL versus TTL Flash as one of my sources when I was completing the research for Lesson 2 in the Flash thread.

MT/Sarah
Thank you for your kind comment. Pls have a look to my last reply to Crashman for my initial one-day experience with the K100D.

BTW, I shall try to complete my P-TTL Vs TTL measurbation test report before I sell out my *ist DS. It is just because the new K100D do NOT support the traditional TTL auto function of Pentax, as it does not have the TTL auto flash cell/sensor.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

I have had an excellent experience with my new K100D. I find it a great camera to work with on a daily basis.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 8:17 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 344
Default

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I have had an excellent experience with my new K100D. I find it a great camera to work with on a daily basis.

MT/Sarah
Yes, agreed. Actually, I found that the new DA 18-55 I acquired is also better than my old one (which I sold after owing for one week when I bought my *ist DS) as follows:

1. No obvious vignetting at 18mm, even near wide opened (whilst my old DA 18-55 vignetted even at f/8 at 18mm!?);

2. Corner softness area is narrowed down to extreme corner areas only (very small portion);

3. No obvious shift in infinity position when zooming from/to extreme focal ends.

I guess the reason for those improvement (which is very unlikely to be an co-incident IMHO) is either that Pentax has been seriously debugging their products (such that the lens is actually an updated version) OR that the camera body and the lens, as the first lot of a new (important) product line of Pentax, is now under heavy supervision by Japanese engineers at Philipinees and Vietname such that the quality control is much better.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

Am I correct in summarising that being a self-proclaimed moron you have only positive input on k1000d in your initial impression?

Daniel

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
Crashman wrote:
Quote:
RH

Crash

Well, I'm still here on Earth! ;-)

I have tested my new K100D roughly, at indoor and outdoor under an overcast day. The K100D is surely overall a much better DSLR, it has been elliminated for so many those *ist Dx problems which I found:- http://www.epinions.com/content_221813968516

My short observations are:
1. Underexposure problem has been tackled, now that the image are exposed more even spread throughout the whole light spectrum. I have tried the same model of lenses on both K100 and *ist DS and found that the K100D is *always* a quarter (of the histogram) brighter for those typical underexposed scenes such as tungsten environment and overcase enviroment (which have strong red or blue light);

2. AF is more accurate, although still not absolute with my fast prime last FA*85/1.4;

3. AF is faster with NiMH rechargeable (I used Sanyo 2500 mAH ones) and no big difference when CR-V3 / RCR-V3 is used. It seems that the NiMH battery problem has been resolved. The K100D is not so battery voltage dependent as those older Pentax DSLRs used to be;

4. Higher rised RTF (built-in flash) is a credit for larger lenses like the DA 16-45. Despite the user manual of K100D still says vignetting may occur at 28mm (same as what is claimed for the DS), I now found that the vignetting only occurs at 24mm for the 16-45;

5. ISO speed can now be displayed when pressing the Ok button (which the function can be changed at one of the custom functions). The displayed ISO includes the Auto ISO chosen by the camera or manual ISO selected by the user);

6. The K100D feels more filmsy than the *ist DS though which undoubtly is more solid in hand. The more filmsy part of the K100D is the RTF part, I must say;

7. I am still adapting to the smaller viewfinder of the K100D which I think is very good already for those DSLRs at its grade (better than 350D and D50, etc.);

8. In-camera jpeg is sharper, with more details (resolution) plus more sharpening (actually I found that it is by some kind of USM algorithm which the sharpening areas in the image is selective). When compared with the jpegs of *ist Dx, I think those crappy in-camera jpegs has gone;

9. Images reproduced looks whiter than those *ist Dx images which tends to look a little bit yellowish.

p.s. the read AF indication is a standard *ist D and DS feature, not a Nikon one :-).

Well, it seems that Pentax do try hard to tackle all the problems I reported over years at my homepage and Epinions but just that they opted to NOT reply to my enquiry and letters for even once!

BTW, I shall formally write a full review at my homepage and Epinions when I have the time.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:07 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

Gee lately I have quite a few positive remarks even from respected forum members about the kit lens.
I also got rid of it after a couple of month.
Softness (part. 40-55) was the main problem.
Lack of need is another with both FA50 1.4 and FA28 2.8 almost glued to my dslr.
I need a second body anyway and it seems right now the only way to get K1000d in canada is with the kit lens.
I may just as well give it benefit of the doubt (re improved q c). Worse come to worse, I will ebay that away

Daniel

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I have had an excellent experience with my new K100D. I find it a great camera to work with on a daily basis.

MT/Sarah
Yes, agreed. Actually, I found that the new DA 18-55 I acquired is also better than my old one (which I sold after owing for one week when I bought my *ist DS) as follows:

1. No obvious vignetting at 18mm, even near wide opened (whilst my old DA 18-55 vignetted even at f/8 at 18mm!?);

2. Corner softness area is narrowed down to extreme corner areas only (very small portion);

3. No obvious shift in infinity position when zooming from/to extreme focal ends.

I guess the reason for those improvement (which is very unlikely to be an co-incident IMHO) is either that Pentax has been seriously debugging their products (such that the lens is actually an updated version) OR that the camera body and the lens, as the first lot of a new (important) product line of Pentax, is now under heavy supervision by Japanese engineers at Philipinees and Vietname such that the quality control is much better.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.