Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:24 PM   #1

but I do not know what to do...the "how to post" thread says to keep it down to 640 x 480...how do I do that???...how do I know what the readings are on my computer???

Once I know that, I think I can add the photo as an attachment to a post...

BTW, so far I have nothing you would want to see, but as I get better (I can't get any worse:-)) I might have some scenes to post and bore you to death...

I would have had some dog photos, but my baby of 14.5 years had to be put down last week...

Kinda quiet around the house...
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:12 PM   #2

Bob-

The first thing that you have to do on your photo editing software is to go to the re-size command and reduce the file size to something around 480 X 640, so that your photo will fit the file size limit.

Then when you are in the reply frame and have finished your message, scroll down so you can see the area below the message window. There you will see a small blank on the left with the word "browse" next to it, on the right. Click on browse and locate you reduced size photo on your computer and click on open. There-sized photo's file name will appear in the box to the left of the work "browse." When you click on the "send" button (further down on the right, below the message box), your photo will be posted to the forum along with your message.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:59 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Bob-
The first thing that you have to do on your photo editing software is to go to the re-size command and reduce the file size to something around 480 X 640, so that your photo will fit the file size limit.
Image size should be kept below 700 pixels & saved with a JPEG compression (found under options in the graphics program) to keep the file size under 250 kByte (remember that 1 kByte = 1024 bytes so the actual file size should be more like 225kByte)
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:06 PM   #4

Another Option!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:10 PM   #5

hi,

sorry about the dog. always tough to lose an old friend.

my 2 cents on resizing;

750x 499 (same proportions as the original files) is actually small enough (way smaller than the 250400 bytes allowed; see under the browse button) to send and download fairly quickly while large enough to look good on the screen.

my program (elements 2) lets me "save for web" which gives a bunch of options incl. sizing; maybe yours is similar?

saveyour filewith some unique suffix (i always just add em to the file name) so you can find it again easily and the rest like mt/sarah said.

btw you can only post one pic per posted reply this way. to do multiple pictures you have to do a reply for each one. there are ways to post more than one per but i haven't taken the time to learn how yet.

good luck, eric

ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:23 PM   #6

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Another Option!

Tom
If you use this method you can post as many images as you want one after the other in your reply.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 4:31 PM   #7

ejbrusselsprout wrote:
Quote:
<Snip>...my program (elements 2) lets me "save for web" which gives a bunch of options incl. sizing; maybe yours is similar?

saveyour filewith some unique suffix (i always just add em to the file name) so you can find it again easily and the rest like mt/sarah said.

</snip>
One of the ways that "Save for web ..." reduces the file size is to eliminate your image's EXIF data. This will contain info that others can learn by and or help others with; for example shutter speed, aperture, focal length etc. If you resize and then use "Save as ..." using a new file name the EXIF information is retained in your posted image. There isn't much difference in the file size but a wealth of information is retained with the image. Hope this helps.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:05 PM   #8

rufus t,

thanks so much. i'm definitely a "just know enough to do it" type computer user and that info is really good to know. i'll definitely just resize in the future if it will help others.

thanks again, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:16 PM   #9

ejbrusselsprout wrote:
Quote:
rufus t,

thanks so much. i'm definitely a "just know enough to do it" type computer user and that info is really good to know. i'll definitely just resize in the future if it will help others.

thanks again, eric
You're welcome Eric. Here's a thread from a few months ago that discusses EXIF viewers. There are links in that thread to some free downloads. Viewing the EXIF can answer a lot of questions.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...485113#p485113
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:12 PM   #10

Rufus T Firefly wrote:
Quote:
One of the ways that "Save for web ..." reduces the file size is to eliminate your image's EXIF data. This will contain info that others can learn by and or help others with; for example shutter speed, aperture, focal length etc. If you resize and then use "Save as ..." using a new file name the EXIF information is retained in your posted image. There isn't much difference in the file size but a wealth of information is retained with the image. Hope this helps.
exif can help so much.. a lot of times i try to ck it (about 50% of the time) and it isn't there. makes for a long thread tho. irfanview will retain it also on a save as.

roy
edit: i've found that it does take 5-10k to preserve it .