Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:40 PM   #1

Just recently acquired an *ist DL2 and I'm having some challenges with using the manual focus. I don't know if my eyes are just bad (I wear glasses) or whether I just need some practice but most time when I try to manually focus on a subject, what appears to be focused and sharp in the viewfinder results in aslightly blurred photo. I try to rely on the AF indicator light or just stick with AF for now.

This is a concern since I bought a manual focus Pentax A 50mm f/1.7 lens off Ebay and don't think I'll be able to use them properly. Will the AF indicator still work for this lens? Any tips for me?
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:54 PM   #2

The focus light will still work with manually focusing lenses. I depended on the light mostly when I first got the camera (I had a number of manual lenses from my ME days) because I missed the split screen. Then I got a macro lens and started concentrating on seeing the focus. It's helped me to where I can see the focus without the camera being on, and then have the camera confirm that I was on-focus when I turn it on. I can't tell as well with distant objects, but that's OK - just set the focus to infinity or close to it, depending on the aperture. It takes practice, and having the sharp macro lens helped.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:04 PM   #3
TDN

Try moving your diopter adjuster. It might be it's not set to your eye. My father once screwed up 5 rolls of film and a whole family vacation album like that

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:47 PM   #4

I pick up my 50mm manual focus lens tonight. Will take some photos and see how good (or poor) my manual focusing abilities are.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:25 PM   #5

I have the Pentax M 50mm 1.7

I notice that when the aperture is set to 1.7 and the focus is about 15m to infinity the subject is in focus in the viewfinder but the actual shot is out of focus.
It totally confuses me, if you focus on inifinity and have several subjects from the foreground right to inifity, nothing is in focus! Only on 1.7 though.

The only solution I've found is to up the f number.
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this problem.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:16 AM   #6

Well, I tried taking some photos with the 50mm f/1.7 lens and I must say it was hit or miss. I locked the lens to the "A" position and used Av mode to take some indoor shots. Even when the focus indicator light was on, some of my photos were still blurry. However, some of them were very sharp and looked more pleasing when compared to similar photos I've taken with my 18-55mm kit lens.

I guess it takes practice but it is somewhat frustrating when I think the subject is in focus and the focus light is on, but the photo still comes out blurry. Perhaps I should try an AF lens, like the SMC FA 50mm F/1.4??
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:18 AM   #7

Is it a focus problem or camera shake, or both? Sounds like shake might be a contributor.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:20 AM   #8

its not a camera shake issue.
on a sunny day @ f1.7 the shutter speed is upwards of 1/2000th of a second and the pics are still blurry.

I'll try and get some exapmles soon.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote