Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:48 AM   #21

Alan

1. Focusing screen in the K100D is the same as the DL/DS etc. You get a confimration beep and green light in your view finder when you are in focus, regardless if it is manually focused or autofocused.

If you are using a manual focus lens (non_AF) you can have the camera in AF or MF mode. It just won't take the shot in AF Mode if you haven't manualy gotten it in focus, in other words in AF mode with a manual lens the camera won't fire when not focused.

2. Dymanic Range is exactly what it means, the cameras ability to define and display colour/shades of grey. Low dymanic range you will find some images are either too dark or too light when there is a lot of contrast in the scene shot.

High dymanic range means the camera can display a larger range of the light spectrum and you can have images with light and dark without it blowing it out. If that makes sense. I hope so.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:02 AM   #22

Makes a lot of sense, cheers Crash.

Sounds like the manual focus thing is something I'll get used to :|
tokendream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 8:06 AM   #23

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Now the big question for me will be do I get a second 6.1mp and buy the K100 or do I get the K10....:lol:
I think resolution has reached a point where it is more like the arguments about 35mm vs medium format. The quality 6MP images produced by the Pentax DSLR cameras seems to me to be on par with what I was getting with 35mm film. I know that technically good 35mm film has a resolving power that approaches 20MP, but in practical terms, given the less than perfect circumstances we usually shoot in, it probably falls as low as 6 to 8MP. When I compare my thousands of 35mm prints with my digital prints I find that 35mm has little or no advantage, even up to 11" X 14". When you get into the 10+MP territory you are now entering the fringe of medium format quality, in a camera system that is far more portable.

My decision in choosing a second camera body will not be driven by resolution alone. If (like Tom for instance )I shot a lot of wild birds, I would want more resolution so that I could crop my images when my lens didn't quite have the reach I needed. For the wedding I shot this weekend one of the biggest problems was too much detail, I had to soften skin to smooth out the natural imperfections and make everyone look beautiful.

I don't need more resolution, and until I can afford a new computer system I don't want more resolution either. I have a Fuji S7000, it has a Fuji SuperCCD which has pixels arranged on a diagonal pattern. This means that the camera must interpolate a standard bayer pattern in order to produce a file that a computer can read and use. This results in a 12MP image from a 6MP sensor (the image quality is about equal to 9MP because it is interpolated after all). That 12MP image is very difficult to work with unless you have a very large computer monitor and lots of RAM, two things I cannot afford right now. Do I want more, of course but not with my present limitations.

The upcoming K10D will undoubtedly have a more expansive feature set and will compete in the lower mid range with Sony and the upcoming Nikon and the Canon 30D but the K100D should positively own the entry level providing more lens choices than Olympus, more backward compatibility than Nikon, much lower prices than Canon, a build quality that is the equal to them all and the anti-shake technology that no-one else at this price point has yet.

I may wait for the K10D. I may not purchase any camera over the next year, but for my purposes if I had the money I would run out and buy a K100D today.

Crashman is right, if you already have a D series camera wait for the K10D and then decide. Perhaps the features of that model will make me run out and buy more RAM and a bigger monitor. Just don't make decisions based on resolution alone, right now the Pentax DSLRs have 3200 ISO available and display very low noise, higher pixel density may impact on that. Think it through and then weigh the alternatives and get the model that best suits you.

Ira

BTW, please excuse the long winded response. Last night was opening night for the play I am performing in, my wife is at work, my sons don't work today so they are still asleep and I have all this time on my hands and don't have any desire to do anything that has any resemblance to work.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 8:30 AM   #24

hi sarah,

thanks for the posts and pictures of the k100d. a real live hot off the sensor user review is so much more valuablethan the manufact.'s info and even than reviews on the various camera review sites. especially from someone objective enough to own and use a n*k*n ! :G

don't think i'll be buying soon (pause for female voice in the backround saying,"you just got a new camera!") but it does make sense to have 2 bodies......

thanks again and i'll be watching for more posts, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 8:37 AM   #25

Sarah,

I agree with Eric, it is great to have a review done by someone with knowledge and experience (as most are), but the big plus here is feedback. You do such a great job of finding answers the the questions we have asked. Other than details such as the missing penta prism and TTL flash sensor this sounds like the best Pentax DSLR yet, especially where it really counts, image quality.

Thanks again
Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:01 PM   #26

Ira and Eric-

My good friend, Simon the seagull was here to wish me a "Good Morning,"as usual, when I came downstairs this morning. Today we had wind and fog, and the temp was nippy. But as always, Simon deferred his breakfast while I took a few photos.

Because my workshops are more focused on consumer/entry level DSLR's, the addition of the K100D was a logical choice. Overall, I am pleased with the K100D.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 2:35 PM   #27

MT/Sarah

thanks for your feedback, that was exactly what I needed to know. Now all I have to do is start saving money! Simon certainly likes to pose for you doesn't he?

Peggy
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:00 PM   #28

Peggy-

It is quite simple. Simon stops by for three meals each day. Food (fish in this case)can be a huge lure. All in all though, he is a very friendly and co-operative poser.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:56 PM   #29

Thanks for all the great advice peeps, Have just purchased my first DSLR and will hopefully be recieving my nice K100D early next week (wish I could get it tomorrow as I'll be climbing in the peak district this weekend).

I'm sure I'll be back on the forum in no time asking how do you do this, how do you do that, and will hopfully have just as warm a welcome as I have over the last two weeks :lol:

Sarah, I want a seagull like yours, but living in London I guess that's not very likely.... have you ever read Jonathan Seagull?
tokendream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:23 PM   #30

token-

Yes indeed, I have read Jonathan Livingston Seagull and I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. I am sure you will enjoy the K100D a great deal.

MT/Sarah