Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:46 PM   #31

ok, i posted the supliment bottle difusser.
WHEN DO I GET TO SEe some shots that justify the AS.????
please get with it and post some 200mm @ 1/15 or lets make it tough, 1/8. in my younger days i could do 1/4 handheld. sharp as a tack @ 8x10.. LOL

roy
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:01 PM   #32

I was wondering about the DL using a pentamirror compared to the DS's pentaprism. Would someone who has viewed both care to comment? I've not handled either the istDS or the K100D so I have no idea whether the move to a pentamirroe has adversely affected the brightness.

I used to own a number of Mintolta SRT series SLRs and was always happy with the brightness of the viewfinder. What I've seen of the Canon DSLRs (the 300 & 350 models) doesn't impress me; the viewfinder is pretty dim. Could this simply be a result of the standard lens?

Comments welcome!

Thanks,
Barry
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:14 PM   #33

Sarah...

Only in the last couple of days have I begun noticing the feature set of the K100D/K110D. Impressive. I have a few questions about it...

Does it have mirror lock-up like the ist? This seems to be a valuable feature, unless the mirror slap is unusually mild or there is another approach to reducing vibration at low shutter speeds.

How is the optical view finder? I'm comparing to the Olympus E-500, which I understand is one of that camera's weakness...smallish and not too bright. They say focusing is not easy with that unit.

How is the noise at iso 1600 and 3200? Are those sensitivities usable?

Do you know what the differences are between the 100 and 110?

I've owned a Sony f707 for the past 3 years...great f2lens, great close-ups,quick frocusing, and great night performance. But shot to shot delay and low speed noise are not as good as I was used to in film slr. And no raw or histogram. I'm considering moving up.

Thanks for your help.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:19 PM   #34

This will probably be my near future camera and i was wondering is the sr really effective and what would happen if you put on a stabilized lens? Thanks for you help!
hoodsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:20 PM   #35

Barry-

To give you some reference the Canon 300D and 350D both used penta mirror viewfinders. The DS if preferred only IMHO if you are doing a lot of manual focusing. The K100D has a penta mirror and it is a good viewfinder, just a tad darker than the DS model.

With the DS model prices in free fall, you can now buy a DS for the same price as a DS and have the advantage of both TTL and P-TTL flash as well as the penta prism viewfinder.

Yes, I have used the DS, K100D, and DL, as well as the Canon 300D and 350D,a lot so can make a judgement, based greatly on experience.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:13 PM   #36

Hi Barry - Last February, before I bought my DL, I stopped at a Kits Camera store that had both the DS and DL. I was able to play with both for about half an hour and also a D50 Nikon. I also was interested in the difference in the Pentaprizm and Pentamirror, so tried focusing at a number of different objects. To be honest, I could see very little difference in the two cameras as far as looking through the viewfinder.

The DS image was very slightly larger, but to me the DL was very slightly brighter and clearer. I actually found either Pentax easy to focus manually at wide open aperture. Either Pentax had a better view finderthen the D50, of which I found the bold circle in the center very intrusive. In the end I bought the DL the first of March and haven't been sorry - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:52 PM   #37

Again, many thanks to those who have replied to my ?'s. I posted another question in another forum but I'll ask it here simply because those who actually own and use the cameras are here.

Question: With a non-auto exposure "K" lens attached and the K100D set to "M", one adjusts the aperture and presses the AE-L button to have the camera set the shutter speed. I've read that this stops down the lens (in order to get a good reading for the auto-shutter speed setting). Does the lens open back up before taking the picture?

Thanks.
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:11 PM   #38

Barry-

After the exposure has been set, the lens opens back up again to take the photo, as long as the proper Custom Menu selection has been made "allow aperture ring."

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:17 PM   #39

bper-

Thanks for chiming in on "the quality of the image within the viewfinder" question. I agree with you, in as much as I switch back and forth between the DS (with penta prism) and the K100D (with penta mirror) all the time.

The quality of the image in the viewfinder, in actual use,is pretty darned close. It may be easier to manually focus with the DS, but we are speaking of very small differences.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:20 PM   #40

hoodsa-

I think that yours is a moot question, if you are speaking of Pentax brand lenses. As I believe that Pentax has not manufactured an IS lens.

MT/Sarah