Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:48 PM   #1

The Pentax K100D camera hit the doorstep this morning at about 11:30am.

Yes, there are noticeable changes.

(1) When pushing the Fn button the 4 way icon has been changed in its look. It stell does the same thing, but it has a new look and a few changes.

(2) There is a new "auto ISO" setting

(3) The SD compartment door has been changed, It now has a canon type slide back and fold out kind of compartment door.

(4) It has a slightly different type of button and location controlling the exposure compensation setting.

(5) There is a differnet look to the .jpg images as they come out of the camera - see the flash thread for an example photo.

(6) TheAS-anti shake has just a simple switch on/off found on the back of the camera.

More details to come as I explore the camera more and shootsome additional photoswith the K100D.

Attached is a sample photo taken with the K100D using the Pentax 50-200mm lens.

MT

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:08 PM   #2
TDN

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
(5) There is a differnet look to the .jpg images as they come out of the camera - see the flash thread for an example photo.
That sounds logical, as that was the biggest criticism the DL and DS got, the slightly poorer onboard processor. Guess they fixed it

Sounds like a nice upgrade & a good improvement for new pentax users.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 5:15 PM   #3

Here are some additional photos of the K100D.

Here is a good view of the back of the camera

Here is the new Mode Selector knob. Note the added Scene Shots

Here is a view of the right hand side of the K100D, showing the new pebble finish on the front as well as the new SD Chip hatch cover.

Thus far, the AS has worked well. Overall, the AS and the new in-camera processor are the biggest differences.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:47 PM   #4

Another seagull photo, but seagull photos are easy because they often land on the back deck. The was also taken with the Pentax 50-200mm lens.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:56 PM   #5

I don't know if I want to look at any more of your K100D pictures or not. I promised myself that I wasn't interested in upgrading, that I'm just now getting pretty good with the DS, and it certainly is providing me many hours of enjoyment.

Then you go and post those impressive pictures and whet my appetite with how well it works. Don't you know that you are really going to screw up my plan to talk my hubby into a new computer and that 300mm lens I lust after (but don't need, and probably won't use that much)?

Nice sea gulls, by the way!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:57 PM   #6

Sarah

What do you notice about the autofocus speed? Is it substantially better than the DL? I have used the Nikon D50 for taking horse pic's and its autofocus was virtually instantaneous compared to what I am used to (Canon G2, ice age autofocus speeds). Would you say teh k100d is close to the Nikon? Only reason I did not consider the dl was the autofocus (and hearing about the image stabilization on hte k100d). Could get the Nikon but it doesn't have IS and feels too big to be comfortable for my hands. Rebel is too squinched up. The DL felt just right. Does the k100d feel similar in size and ergonomics? I am so tired of missing shots of my kids at horse shows because the camera decides to lock focus and shoot the picture just as the tail end is passing by!!!

Thanks

Peggy

pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:07 PM   #7

sarah, i don't want to see shots at 1/500 or 1/350.
get out there and take something at 200mm and at 1/30, 1/15. thats what tells the story..

roy
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:39 PM   #8

Come on, guys, don't demand from K100D too much! 1/[email protected]? That's 4 f-stops longer than supposed longest exposure for such focal length. If 1/[email protected] consistenly crisp -- that's already great. If you manage get sharp picture 1/[email protected] -- that's absolutely fantastic.

BTW, mtclimber, have you done any post processing for that seagull photo? It has absolutely stunning dynamic range. I can say that my DS wouldn't capture such DR.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:22 PM   #9

Peggy-

This is an unscientific personal evaluation, because I have no realistic way of producing exact timing on focusing. But as I own the Nikon D-50 and the Pentax K100D I have become used to handling both cameras. This is just a personal opinion but, I would say that the K100D is every bit as fast as my Nikon D-50, if not fractionally faster.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:25 PM   #10

Stick with me, Roy-

I have only had the K100D for less than 7 hours and I have had other committments as well today that were also taking my time. It is called paying bills.

MT/Sarah