Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 3, 2006, 6:25 PM   #1

many kiron lenses are sleepers.. they made my vivitar 105 macro.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kiron-macro-tele...QQcmdZViewItem
don't think i'd give more than 30-35usd for it tho. contact seller for shipping..

roy
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:47 PM   #2

This looks like the same Kiron lens I have (80-200 macro). It's a push-pull zoom, which some people like and others hate. I rather liked that. However, it's a bit too soft for me. The lens had been my father's and when he gave me his stuff, I compared it to the Pentax F 70-210 that I had bought back in the late 80's, I think. The Pentax was definitely sharper. It's pretty nice as a macro lens, but suffers at infinity. It might do all right as a portrait lens, come to think of it.

I'm pretty sure that it is softer than the DA 50-200, when I got the Pentax lens I was very pleased how sharp it was. The only side-by-side shooting I've tried with these 2 lenses wasn't a very good test - I was shooting some back-lit grape leaves, and didn't match the focus points (and didn't think about setting the aperture small enough to get enough DOF where it wouldn't matter if it were off a bit).

If anyone is interested, I'll try to see if I can shoot some comparison pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:15 AM   #3

H, not many zooms compare to the 70-210. it's a VERY under rated lens. i posted the kiron as it was very inexpensive.. barring shipping fees that is..

roy
Old Aug 4, 2006, 8:01 AM   #4

I hope I didn't give the impression that the Kiron was a piece of junk - it isn't at all. It's just not as sharp as some other lenses I own and so it isn't one of my favorites. If someone were on a budget, and knew that it wasn't going to be super-sharp, then it would be worth the low price. It needs a lens hood more than the DA lens, but that's not a big deal (it originally came with one).

I just wish that my F 70-210 hadn't been unrepairable - it was by far my favorite lens.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:15 PM   #5

ck around. it's my understanding the A70-210 is a sharper lens and faster.

roy
Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:26 AM   #6

This morning I went out to shoot some comparison photos with the Kiron and the DA50-200. It's funny how when everything was new to me, there were things I didn't particularly notice. Now that I've had the camera for a while and am used to what should happen, I spot things that are wrong much more quickly.

I've always said that the Kiron is too soft for my tastes - it turns out that there's a reason. I thought I would take a couple of pictures with both lenses wide open and stopped up. I also thought I would give Kjell's way of doing things a try, where he uses the preview rather than the AE-L button. Set the lens to f22, went to preview, and NO CHANGE! Took the lens off and worked the apperture ring - nothing happened. I did play with it some, and could get the lens to close, but not reliably.

I have no idea how long the lens has been like that - I suspect it's been that way since I got it from my father, because it's always been softer than whatever else I've used. It's too bad, because it's in otherwise excellent condition (glass good, not a mark on the outside, the zoom and focus work perfectly. On the other hand, I don't need it with the DA 50-200, so scratch one lens off my list of equipment.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:18 AM   #7

harriet, what happens when you stop the lens down when it's on the camera and you ck DOF?? does the VF get dim ??? it should.. sounds like the mechanical aperture link has failed to engage..

roy
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:44 PM   #8

You are right - the mechanical aperture linkage isn't working, but that isn't the whole story. Normally you can watch the aperture elements open and close by rotating the aperture ring when the lens is off the camera. It wouldn't close at all at first. I worked the lever a bit and then the lens would stop down until you mounted it on the camera - then it opened the whole way and wouldn't stop down again. There's either something with the linkage that is out of alignment or sticking - it will stop down once, if it reopens it won't close again.