Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:14 AM   #1

Would like some imput regarding Promaster Flashes, cable, and module for the DS. Particularly the TTL mode.

I like to use a Stroboframe bracket-the Pentax system seems to be more complicated than Promaster. Any help would appreciated.

Thanks
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:14 PM   #2

the ds supports TTl so any TTL dedicated pentax flash should work fine. i, personally have no experience with promaster. some recent research shows they are about the same price as the sigma line.

roy
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:31 PM   #3

Roy-

Please keep in mind that the Promaster brand equips their flashes with the needed module to accomadate the specific camera.

The following Promaster Flashes, I believe,work with Pentax cameras. I am assuming that these flashes accommodate P-TTL flash, but to be honest, I am nottotally sure. I have no hands on experience with Promaster flashes

5750DX

5550DX

7500DX

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:34 AM   #4

Hi DMJJR,

I can't answer your ? about the flashes, except that I know that they exist, and have heard that they work -- the 5750 has a second fill flash mounted on the body that is switchable and supposedly pretty neat. Rupert on the DPR Pentax SLR forum has one, and although his first one died an early death, he's been having a lot of fun with the replacement, and all is well so far.

I can, however vouch for their TTL hotshoe to hotshoe extension flash cord. I saw one in a store about a year ago and bought it after some thought. It is, for my purposes, better than the equivalent Pentax components except for potential flexibility in setup. Being one piece, you can't lose any part of it, and it's really well made and seems durable. The cord is heavy guage, but at 3' and coiled, it might limit you too much in the placement of your off-camera flash. That's the only advantage to the Pentax components -- you can get different lengths of cord for different applications, but they're more expensive (and at least for me, too losable-- I'm an idiot).

I mostly use the cord with brackets, so I don't need the placement flexiblity, and if I did (like in a studio environment -- I'd just use one of my TTL flashes as the main and a slave trigger for the other(s), or buy another wireless compatible flash and use my 360FGZ to trigger it in wireless TTL mode.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 8:45 PM   #5

Scott-

Yes, I agree with you, as I have also read Rupert's posts. However, after rather reading carefully, I am very aware that there are more than a few generalities used in the descriptions, rather than the more precise terminology that makes me feel much more secure.

I will do some more research, but thus far, I have only found that Promaster Flash users among the Pentax group are definitely in the minority position.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:57 PM   #6

Hi Sarah,

The Promaster site is very vague about their specifications. The one thing that seems to point to true P-TTL compatibility is that they specifically mention the *Ist D series as compatible with the DX line of flashes. I considered trying one, as the 5750DX and the 7500DX both had features that I was looking for, but I was leery spending quite a bit of money for such an unknown quantity. In the end, I won a used Pentax AF500FTZ for a little over $100 on ebay-- a significant bargain with a ton of features, all useable with my DS. It has, however only whetted my appetite for either the Sigma 500DG Super or a Pentax AF540FGZ. It'll remain to be seen whether it's still rationizable after I've popped for a new SR body. . .or it may be necessary, if TTL compatibility isn't carried over on the yet-to-be-released 10.2 mp SR body.

I think that just about all 3rd party manufacturers are a little soft on compatibility statements -- look at what's happening with the Sigma AF500 DG ST and Super with the K100D. I guess caveat emptor is especially true when it comes to the state of the art in flash automation and compatibility. It would be nice if it was a little less confusing.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:34 AM   #7

Scott-

The interesting thing is that I had not any problems at all when using the Sigma EF-500 DG ST PA-PTTL for the shots in the flash thread. Everything has worked perfectly for every single shot I have asttempted with it.

MT/Sarah.