Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:36 PM   #1

I really want to get a 300mm lens. I know I'll have trouble with it (I really shouldn't get one until after I get something with IS) but I really want one - those of you who post all those awesome photos have given me lens envy. I think I might have found a manual 300 lens within my price range but wondered if it would be more difficult to focus than the other manual lenses I have. Should I wait and get an F or FA when I could both find one and afford it?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:12 PM   #2

Go for it.
I got rid of all my manual lens 1 yr ago . And you know what because I could not afford an F or FA300, I bought a manual A300mm F4.
Turns out when push comes to shove it is ok.

Daniel
http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/a300mmf4

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I really want to get a 300mm lens. I know I'll have trouble with it (I really shouldn't get one until after I get something with IS) but I really want one - those of you who post all those awesome photos have given me lens envy. I think I might have found a manual 300 lens within my price range but wondered if it would be more difficult to focus than the other manual lenses I have. Should I wait and get an F or FA when I could both find one and afford it?
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:39 PM   #3

I reckon if you are picking up a 300 f/4 lens in YOUR price range then take it. It is long enough to give some good tele work but no that long that it is a pain.

Manual focusing is not hard and you will still get your focus beep to confirm your in focus.

I have a Tokina RMC 80-200 f/4.5 that goes into focus so quickly and seems to have a very large DOF. It takes my best night time shots and is unbelievably sharp.

Crash
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:43 PM   #4

I have something in my camera cubboard that I love almost as much as my *ist DS and that is my Asahi SMC Takumar 1:4/300. I bought it on a auction on-line and had to fight hard to get it but instinct was right, it is a thing of beauty even when sitting on the shelf!:-)
Screw mount but that is what adapters are for.

Unfortunately it has not had a real outing yet but when it does I expect great things!

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:20 AM   #5

I have a Takumar 300 f/4 screw mount with the aperture ring forward of the focusing ring.

Lovely sharp images, beautiful to focus with.

Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:50 AM   #6

I've actually found 2 different 300 f/4 lenses. I'm not exactly sure what one of them is exactly because the ad wasn't very detailed. The second one is on ebay, I've never bid and it seems difficult for a newbie to get established and then approved to bid by the seller, plus it will probably go out of my price range before the bidding is done - but it's a 300* and I'd LOVE to get that one!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote