Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:35 PM   #11

Sarah we are GMT +8hrs.

The trees have uplights mounted in the ground and they are switched on some nights a certain times of the year. Kings Park over looks the City of Perth and you can see the lit up trees from a distance away from the park.

In this particular shot I did not use a torch (flashlight) but I do have a1,000,000 candle power torch which I do use for "paint by light"
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 3:17 AM   #12

jabilson007 wrote:
Quote:
How does the 18-125 compare to the 18-200? I would prefer to only carry one lens around most of the time and plan for special lens use(primes). The range of my 24-135 is seems pretty good for around the house and out and about, but it is much heavier and awkward than the kit 18-55. Also the kit lens seems sharper, but I am new to the dslr world and am playing maybe too much with the 2.8 setting.

Jon
I'm really interested in this too, as I'm looking to grab a K100D with a general purpose walk around lens but interested in what peopple think of the 18-200mm vs. 18-125mm vs. twin lens kit.
shadow-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 4:43 AM   #13

shadow-wolf wrote:
Quote:
jabilson007 wrote:
Quote:
How does the 18-125 compare to the 18-200?
I'm really interested in this too, as I'm looking to grab a K100D with a general purpose walk around lens but interested in what people think of the 18-200mm vs. 18-125mm vs. twin lens kit.
I can't comment on the Sigma 18-125mm BUT steer clear of the Sigma 18-200mm.

Both reports that I've read & my own practical experience when testing one out, shows that this lens DOESN'T focus at focal lengths above 135mm; the only way around this apparently is to focus at 135mm, then zoom out accordingly.

Review at : http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3563/index.htm

Whilst I very much wanted the convenience of a wide range zoom, I just wasn't prepared to accept this very basic shortcoming.

Overall optical performance wasn't too good either.

I also tried the Tamron 18-200mm which was a tad soft at wider angles but it DID focus at 200mm.

I bought the Pentax DA 50-200mm & comparing all three lens side by sise at comparable focal lengths, the Pentax wins hands down.

On the cost front, the Tamron/Sigma lens were UK£240 whereas the Pentax was UK£160.

Weight of Pentax is considerably lighter than either of the other two which makes it a lot easier to carry around.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 5:43 AM   #14

does anyone in australia know of where you can pick up the K100D bundled with the pentax lens, rather than the Sigma ones? sounds as though the pentax are better bang for your buck?
shadow-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:09 AM   #15

shadow-wolf-

Yes, the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens paired with the Pentax 50-200mm lens is IMHO the biggest bang for the buck. The lenses are fairly small, compact and an excellent value, as well as being quite good optically.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:19 AM   #16

where I work in aus. we havent recieved the K100's yet, so i dont know if they are going to be available with pentax lenses instead of sigma lenses, it all depends on the options available to us for purchasing through the supplier.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:52 AM   #17

The one I held and used was at CameraHouse in Murray Street Mall and it had a Sigma Lens on it. Plaza Cameras in the City had ONE !!!! and sold it. They don't have any other right now....Amazing!!!

I wouldn't be surprised (with CR Kennedy having the import distributionship) that they will continue selling them with Sigma Lenses.

Don't under estimate the Sigma Lenses. Sigma makes the glass for Leica lenses..Fact!
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote