Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:46 PM   #1

It is fairly common in Australia to offer Sigma lenses with and/or in place of the Pentax kit and other lenses because the Pentax and the Sigma Lens Distributor are one in the same. Aussies, please correct me if indeed I am wrong.

In Australia, the Sigma 18-125mm lens is often offered as an option to the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens. The result is thatthe distributorsells BOTH more Sigma lenses and more Pentax bodies. Thus,it is a win-win situation and the Sigma/Pentax Distributor is happy.

Just an idea. Are we overlooking the Sigma 18-125mm lens as a rather good "walk around lens" option? We might just be doing that in the USA where the Pentax 18-55 kit lens is very available.

So, just for discussion purposes,here is an example photo taken with my Pentax DS equipped with the Sigma 18-125mm lens of my very co-operative pet seagull, named Simon. The primary advantage of the Sigma 18-125mm lens is the extra zoom range, and the fact that the lens is still relative inexpensive.

What do you think?

Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:35 PM   #2
TDN

I agree with you.

Right now I have the kit lens (together with the DA 50-200 almost the only pentax lens available in Belgian stores) and a 70-210mm.

Although the kit lens is a good walkaround lens, sometimes it misses just that little extra range.

A 70-210 is a tele, and although this might be me, I hardly ever use the 70mm end.

So I have a gap in my lens range.

Right now I'm doubting if I should go for a cheap 28-105 f2.8-4 sigma Aspherical or save up for a high quality Tokina ATX Pro 28-70 or 28-80...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:41 PM   #3

Thank you, TDN-

You have detected the exact same gap that I was discussing in my initial Sigma 18-125mm post. Some folks will want/or need a bit more zoom. The Sigma 18-125mm may indeed be the answer. After all, the Sigma 18-125mm lens remains fairly inexpensive in cost.

Sarah
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:36 PM   #4
TDN

I got my eye on a Sigma 28-105 2.8-40 Aspherical (not the DG), which I can get for about 70$. That's about 50$ under the new price.

Any experiences with this one?

I heard it's a little soft in the large apertures...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 8:21 PM   #5

Sarah

Yes here in the land of Oz Sigmas are commonly used as the standard lens for Pentax as CR Kennedy import both brands.

My DS came with the 18-125 as the kit lens and itis a s you say a usefull walking around lens.

The wide angle end is most usefull for me due to the crop factor making all my other lenses act as longer focal length on the DS.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 8:38 PM   #6

Thanks so much, Phil!

That is what I am looking for! I just wanted to throw out another option to the Pentax 18-55mm, which is actually a pretty good lens, but it is lacking on the long/or telephoto end of the lens.

Sarah
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:16 PM   #7

My DL came with the 18-125. I thought it was a good lens until I got myself some primes and obviously there is no comparsion between a fixed focal length prime and a zoom lens.

The 18-125mm lens is a good walk about lens, but I did notice it a bit sofft when used with a wide open aperture.

I did once experience some vignetting at 18mm when doing a sunset shot.

Here are two shots taken with the lens, no PP other than resize.

Daytime 108mm, f9.5 at 1/500sec.

This a Night Time shot at Kings Park in Perth. 18mm f5.6 30sec exposure.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:32 PM   #8

How does the 18-125 compare to the 18-200? I would prefer to only carry one lens around most of the time and plan for special lens use(primes). The range of my 24-135 is seems pretty good for around the house and out and about, but it is much heavier and awkward than the kit 18-55. Also the kit lens seems sharper, but I am new to the dslr world and am playing maybe too much with the 2.8 setting.

Jon
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:58 PM   #9

Jon

We are all guilty of buying FAST lenses and then shooting at the widest aperture so we can use the FAST aspect. Upside short DOF which can provide great results, downside sometimes soft images depending on the lens.

The sweet spot for sharpenss varies from lens make to lens make and within each lens. Some get a great lens and some buy the same lens and get the freaky AWESOME lens.

Depending on your shooting style and what You are trying to achieve you might want to consider carrying more than one lens.

Many years ago in my hunting days I would go out to shoot large game and only see small. The next time I would go out to go after small game and only see large. In the end we took both types of rifles and made sure we covered all bases. (BTW we shot for the enjoyment and for money, ie.e all game was dressed and sold not left to rot.)

I carry my gear in a LowePro AW100 slingshot bag. I have my Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 on my camera and my ready ready lens.

I also used to carry my 24mm f/1.7 lens, but since I got my 18mm f/3.5 I don't carry 24mm any more. I also carry in the bag a 50mm f/1.7, a 135mm f/2.8 and a Tokina 80-200mm f4.5 and lastly a 2x Teleconverter.

I will also carry my 300mm f/4 in a seperate lens case attached to the side of the AW100. In the AW100 bag are the usual filters, flash, cables etc as well.

Sounds like a lot to carry but the bag does it well and I never seem to be at a loss for the right lens :G. Sometimes I will shoot the same scene with different lenses to see if there is any visible differences between lenses.

So depending on your shooting pleasure you might want to consider a small bag to carry an extra lens, maybe two or three or four....:?

Crash

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:39 AM   #10

High powered torches in the trees? Is it? It is the middle of the night here, So if you will pardon the question, what time is it in OZ?

Sarah