Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:04 PM   #1

Hello:

I am new to this forum and very happy to be aboard. I started with this forum by watching the Nikon topics and when I saw an ad in Circuit City's Sunday circular with a sale on the istDL offering no interest for 18 months, I became a DL kit owner and user.

I also own a Nikon D70s and find that camera too large and much more complicated than the DL. Although, after 4 weeks with the DL, I do miss the higher continuous shooting rate that the Nikon has, but I do not miss much else. Since my Pentax purchase, I have addeda new50-200 lens and a used40mm "pancake".

About two weeks ago, Circuit City dropped the kitprice to $528. before rebate and offered no interest for 24 months. Guess what!!!

With my 2nd DL, I have since sold one of the kit lenses and added the pancake to the 2nd body.

On Monday of this week, I "happened" to be in my local camera shop and asked one of the more experience people if he would add Sigma's "BIGMA" to the D70s or to the Pentax DL. His response (with a grin on his face) was that he would add the Sigma to a K100D as he handed me one! This action on his part borders on cruel and unusual punishment!!! As he explained the workings to me, he already knew that my passion is close-up photography. As we explored that issue, he put the largest single extension tube on the K100D, flipped the switch for the shake reduction and had me take a picture at 1/30 sec at f5.6, free handing, andusing the kit lens. Tack sharp! For me, this ability to hand-hold close-ups without the expense of a VR lens or cumbersome tripod is worth a lot.

He also showed me a couple of other features, including the circular icon as a 3rd position on the on-off switch that lets you take a picture, preview it, enlarge it to look at it, etc. without having it write to the memory card. A press of the shutter resets the camera for regular shooting. How cool is that?

Guess what I did yesterday? Today, I mounted the 50-200 on the K100D, went for a walk, and shot a sign at 1/60 and f16, using both regular and shake reduction mode. The attached pictures illustrated my point. Please examine the UPC codes in the corner of the sign. These were shot from about 15 feet using the full 200mm so it was fairly difficult to hold the image steady. This close distance, I believe, exagerates your body motion.

Sorry, for the length of this intro, but I am very excited about my DL's and my K100D. The K100D for me is a marvelous breakthrough! No tripod, no bipod. Lower ISO for less noise. Life is good - thank you Pentax and thank you all for letting me talk to you for the first time.

P.S. Can I add more than one attachment at a time? I wanted to show before and after. Perhaps someone can advise me? Thanks!

Attached Images

bobbysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:21 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! That's nice review of the K100. Looking forward to more shots.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:41 PM   #3

Thank you, Rufus T.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:44 PM   #4

I hope someone can advise you how to post more than one, I would love to see a comparison of with and without SR photos. Thanks for your review.

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:36 PM   #5

Posting more than 1 attachment requires you to have the photos hosted on another site. If I don't want to do that, I just reply to my original post with the second picture - works just as well.

P.S. I sure understand your situation - I've been trying to convince my hubby that a new lens and the K100D are good ideas. He seems to think that after all those cameras, you are probably single...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:05 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum. I am a new member and DL owner. I was wondering what your feeling is on the autofocus accuracy and speed of the K100D vs. the DL? Enjoy your new cams!

Jon
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:27 PM   #7

Today, I went outside with my DL and my K100D. Used the same memory card which is a 512mbSanDisk Ultra II. I set each camera on continuous mode, the preview screen on each was left at 3 seconds, I shot aperature mode f8.0, same lens 50-200.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"DL shot 28 images in 30 seconds. The execution of the first 3 was slower than the K100D, but the remaining shots were quicker.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"K100D shot 25 images in 30 seconds. The execution of the first3 were faster than the DL, but the remaining shots were slower.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I would have to believe there are variations between cameras and I would have to believe that any small difference in how you prefocused would also make a difference.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Then I went back outside with everything set the same, except for the quality level that I reduced from *** to *. Got 33 shots in 30 seconds with the K100D. Did not try the DL. Makes sense, I guess, because the smaller file size clears thru the buffer faster.

I guess I'm saying that the DL and the K100D have the "same" continuous rate subject to individual camera mass production variation. I also noticed that at the longer zoom settings, the K100D still messes around and stutters like the DLas it tries to lock. Seems to be better than the DLat the shorter zoom settings, tho. Maybe the additional metering points make a difference.

Be all this as it may, I bought the K100D because of the SR feature. The difference in the card door, the additional metering points (I shoot spot), the difference in the strap loop attachment point above the card door just don't mean a lot to me. I fell in love with the image quality, the compactness compared to the boxing glove called the Nikon D70s,and the simplicity of the DL at first sight. The K100D continues that good feeling. As Hubert Humphrey used to say (showing my age here), "I'm tickled pink!"

By the way, the LBA is pretty severe. "Need" a macro. Does anyone have an idea about the quality of the Pentax 100mm macro? Everyone seems to only talk about Nikon, Tamron, and Sigma macros. Thanks for your patience and help.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:32 PM   #8

Let's try the jpeg that shows theSR off at full res and see if goes thru!
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:19 PM   #9

There are a couple of threads about macro lenses here. I ended up buying the Phoenix 100mm f4 macro, which is pretty much the same lens as the Pentax, and cheaper. It's a really sharp lens that is easy to focus manually. I bought it new through B&H for not much more than a set of new extension tubes. It has a matched adaptor for 1:1, otherwise it's 1:2.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote