Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:28 AM   #1

I'm looking to buy a used Pentax SMC 50mm "fast" lens for my *ist DL, but cannot decide between the newest SMCP-FA (50mm f/1.4, plastic), an older SMC-F (50mm f/1.7, plastic), or the old-school metal SMC-A (50mm f/1.4 or 1.7)?

I like the solid build quality of the SMC-A, but the auto-focus of the newer plastic lenses is appealing. I believe that all three lenses have similar sharpness, colour, and contrast. Also, which of the two autofocus lenses is better- the newest FA or the older F?

Many thanks.

PS - *jealous* all those ppl with the new K100D....
itswesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:01 AM   #2

I had the same doubts as you about Pentax auto focus lenses when I got my DS, that also happened to be my first AF camera. The kit lens (16-45) confirmed my prejudices in this respect. To my great surprise though I liked the AF.

Eventually I bought a 50 mm FA 1.4, and was happily surprised over build quality. It feels just as genuine as my A*-lenses, and they are well built for sure. I've also bought a F 70-210 and a F 35-135, and they are also very solid. I'm very happy with my choice.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:31 AM   #3

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I had the same doubts as you about Pentax auto focus lenses when I got my DS, that also happened to be my first AF camera. The kit lens (16-45) confirmed my prejudices in this respect. To my great surprise though I liked the AF.

Eventually I bought a 50 mm FA 1.4, and was happily surprised over build quality. It feels just as genuine as my A*-lenses, and they are well built for sure. I've also bought a F 70-210 and a F 35-135, and they are also very solid. I'm very happy with my choice.

Kjell
kjell, i agree 100% but i like the heft and feel of a metal lens.. it's probably because i put down the camara for 20+ years and missed all the ''auto, whatever'' lenses.

yes, i like AF. i also like the auto exposure, BUT, call me old time, manual focus is okay.

roy
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:20 AM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
kjell, i agree 100% but i like the heft and feel of a metal lens call me old time,
Quote:
manual focus is okay.

roy
So do I, but I'd rather call the FA 1.4 a plastic coated metal lens, it hasn't at all that plastic feeling of cheaper lenses. And as the proud owner of the A* 85 mm 1.4 and A* 200 mm 2.8 lenses I can compare with the very best.

Auto-focus is often out-of-focus, but better than I thought before I got it.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote