Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:13 AM   #1

asked this guy 'how much was shipping'. got banned from his auctions for it.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...DME:L:RTQ:US:2

my question.
shipping to usa 75180 texas ??

his reply.
Airmail is £9.95 (about 19usd)

my response
way too much.. i buy regularly from seller, member446885, and shipping is never over $9usd, plus $3usd extra each for multiple items.

roy

his response
well you cheapskate you can go and buy one from member2468 he sells crap, I know I have some!! He sent me lenses in box with no wrapping banging againt each other. You are barred from my auctions

my response
wow, you're a nice guy. i've had no problems with rocky. sorry i caught you on a bad day.. seems you got out of bed on the wrong side..
banned??? why??? doesn't sound like a good business decision too me.. will pass it along, tho.

roy

i've bought from rocky on numerous occasions

oh well... guess i'll not be purchasing from this seller

roy

Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:37 AM   #2

Being 'banned' could be a blessing in disguise - money well saved perhaps.

I agree that some dealers etc charge extortionate amounts for postage and I too would decline to purchase from them. We live just 5 miles from mainland UK are are classified as an offshore island i.e. Outer Hebrides

I guess this isdifferent to reversing the costs toget around import duties where the product is sold for pennies with a corresponding high postal charge equating to a total cost which is acceptable.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:39 AM   #3

Roy, don't know whether to congratulate you and laugh WITH you or cry for the seller.

Import duties, when charged, are cost of item plus postage times the duty percentage.

Here in Canada if its not dutiable they still charge me 14% sales taxplus a $5.00 charge for having screwed me out of the sales tax. Just this week, they charged me $1.67 sales tax and the$5 handling fee.

Don't know who is the bigger thief and gouger the Government or the Seller, maybe both.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:08 AM   #4

19$ is not so bad, check this one, shipping to UK from USA 45$. within USA it's 14$ but it's still way too expensive

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vivitar-70-210mm...QQcmdZViewItem
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:07 AM   #5
TDN

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
19$ is not so bad, check this one, shipping to UK from USA 45$. within USA it's 14$ but it's still way too expensive

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vivitar-70-210mm...QQcmdZViewItem
yeah seen that guy's auctions too. He has some really great lenses but his shipping rates are outrageous.

Roy, I wouldn't worry about it too much, probably good riddens.

Kids like that are a shame to my generation

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:33 AM   #6

Oddly enough £10.00 p & P to the states does not sound outrageous. Take a look at the following link, the official Royail Mail price list for air mail. I've no idea what the lens itself would weigh, but add to that the packing and then whatever the relevant cost is from the chart and you'll probably find that it's about right.

I spent a couple of weeks in the states last year and was struck by how cheap things are there. The sad reality is that the cost of living over here in the uk is easily twice that thatmost of you on the forum enjoy. For example how keen would you be on paying nearly $9.00 a gallon for diesel. Now put yourself in my position where I have to buy in the order of twenty five gallons every week just to work. When I hear people in the states whinging about paying in the region of $3.00 - $4.00 a gallon I 'm afraid it becomes a case of 'my heart bleeds'.

Fuel costs are one of the primary reasons why it costs so much more to ship things localy here and from here to elsewhere in the world.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/c...equestid=42219

Dom
dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:49 AM   #7

i pretty much posted this as a jest.. also so i could send someone a link to it.. 10pounds shipping is high but i've paid it before and must admit some of my auctions the shipping price was the only way i made anything.. the thing is that i've bought numerous items from the seller above and shipping has neve been more than 9usd. purchased 2 items recently and shipping was only12usd for both..

i'm just surprised someone would block a potential buyer..

$9 a gallon is pretty tough for me to relate to. i too HAVE to use 15-20 gallons a week for work. that doesn't include my wifes usage or my personal usage.

roy

Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:11 PM   #8

Shipping costs are crazy at some places. And some actually make a profit off of it. I work at a mailorder company, and we do what we can do keep the costs down. You be surprised at how much shipping we eat to keep the customer happy. But when it comes to shipping international, we charge exactly what the carrier charges us. I am not personally involved in the shipping dept., but have seen some of the rates for international orders. Sometimes the cost of shipping exceeds the cost of the product ordered. A few years back (before fuel skyrocketed) we were considering free shipping within the states. But that has been dropped with the rising cost of fuel, and it's not getting any better.
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:50 PM   #9

Actually, I can empathize with the guy banning you. Nothing personal, you seem like a nice guy, but as an Ebay seller, someone complaining before a purchase is just a red flag.

For example, I once had someone demand a refund of $1.50 b/c I charged that much more than actual postage (never mind PP fees and packaging and that the S&H charge was posted in the auction description). I refused on principle (I don't mind giving refunds if something is wrong, but in this case, I felt that I was as transparent as can be). The guy left me negative feedback, even though the item was as described, promptly received and he paid just as much S&H as the auction said (and quite a bit less than he would have if he had bought it from someone else). Considering that was my first negative (and I've only had two in 1500-2000 Ebay transactions to date), I was ticked off.

Btw, I agree that member446885 charges very low S&H, I was surprised, the guy charges quite a bit lower than many of the rip-off sellers in the US.

Was it $19 for a lens from the UK to the US or was it just a filter or something? For a medium sized lens, that'd be OK for me, I've paid more for shipping within the US. For a filter, well, that's a rip-off even from the UK.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:10 PM   #10

don't get me wrong. i'm not upset. it's as i stated, i can't see barring a potential customer. i've only got 66 ebay feedbacks, all good. i've always paid well within an hour and only ask for a shipping date.. it was a small lens.. i probably should not have started this thread as it seems to be too controversial. being a seller and a buyer i can see from both sides of the fence..

roy