Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:27 PM   #1

hello,
i primaly shoot poeple in indoor situations and (surprise... ) i hate flash...

After a long search (going from leica digilux 2 for non-intrusive aspect but to noisy above 200iso if i may believe reviews) to minolta maxxus 5d and 7D (but using prop battery's and i don't like sony who bought minolta) i think the K100D may do the trick. giving 2 extra stops and from reviews it looks like it's darn good in high iso range... and it accepts plain AA's - cool!

So, now i'm about to get the body (or kit depending on money) but i'm looking for a extra lens as fast a possible and as wide as possible (without going to fish eye types).

any recommendations?
a SIGMA 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC? or Sigma 17-35mm f2.8- 4 EX?

thanks in advance!

ps: (i still would loooove to buy a rangefinder, just for the "low impact" in the environment where you are shooting - no shutter noise and so- so if someone happens to have a pentax *and* a digital rangefinder please let me know your findings in low light conditions)

polossatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:53 PM   #2

Have you thought about going with prime lenses? I have a Pentax SMC M 24mm 2.8 that I use all the time - fast, small and relatively light weight for a 20 year old lens. That plus one of the 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 lenses (I have the M variety of both) might work well, and both can be purchased (if you don't mind manual lenses) relatively inexpensively. There are also FA versions of these lenses, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:22 PM   #3

With the K100D being such a new camera, I would want to be sure that the lens was going to work perfectly with the camera. Some Sigma lenses don't always work well with certain cameras. Sigma is usually very good about re-chipping the lens so that it will work perfectly, or as close to perfect as they can make the lens work.

There was a thread on this forum about the problems encountered with a Sigma 24-135mm lens that pretty well documents the potential problems

I have a 30mm prime from Sigma, used on my Nikon D-50,that I use for existing light photos where flash is not permitted. It has a fast F1.4 aperture and it is very useful. However, Itried the lens before I purchased it, just to be sure that it fully matched the D-50.

If you stay with Pentax lenses, you probably won't have to worry about getting a good match. The Pentax 16-45mm lens is a lens that is used a lot and liked by many folks, but the max aperture is only F 4.0.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:24 PM   #4

i got no problem with older or manual lenses
but 50 mm is not wide enough on a digital (75 in 35 terms)
i'm really looking for a lens that's around 25 in 35mm terms

digital is fun, but that crop factor is not so nice
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:35 PM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
The Pentax 16-45mm lens is a lens that is used a lot and liked by many folks, but the max aperture is only F 4.0.

MT/Sarah
Thank you, it's about 450-500 euro acording to pricegrabber... should be feasable...
but i't indeed not so fast... :sad:

then the Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM looks better for that money...
but 50 is really a bit to narrow for my taste..
decisions... decisions...

Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:00 PM   #6

fast wides are just like fast teles,,, get out the check book. you'll get what you paid for.

roy
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:56 PM   #7

Well, the DA 14mm is wide... and I think its f/2.8 at the maximum? Another lens that I see recommended a lot is the Zenitar 16 fisheye(also f/2.8), which is then defished using PTlens(free), giving a similar filed of view to the DA 14. The Zenitar is cheap, but it is a fisheye and I read concerns about whether it will work very well with SR.

SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:14 AM   #8

I have the Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG Macro. It is fast focus and wide enough.

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english...wide/24_18.htm

Available everywhere

Centre.net in Australia
http://www.centre.net.au/Sigma_AF_24...ax_0007X9.html

Adorama
http://www.adorama.com/SG2418PXAF.ht...&item_no=3

eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sigma-24mm-F1...QQcmdZViewItem

Appears Adorama has best price.

I used the 24mm Sigma lens to take these picture of my Tokina 18mm f/3.5 lens

and

This was shot at 1/160 f1.7 ISO 800