Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:45 PM   #1

After returning from a shoot today, I noticed that my DL is missing the rubber eyepiece surround.* I looked all over, and can't locate it.* Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement surrounds?
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:25 PM   #2

illuminati-

I would think that you can order one from the Pentax website in your country. Just give them a call to identify the part number and they can probably take the order right in the same phone call.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:30 PM   #3

You can order the parts. No problem. I nearly lost mine. After that I just fixed it by putting two drops of crazy glue at its base.

Daniel

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
After returning from a shoot today, I noticed that my DL is missing the rubber eyepiece surround. I looked all over, and can't locate it. Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement surrounds?
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:48 PM   #4

illuminati;

if you find a supplier would you mind to post where as i've lost mine as well. checked all over the net and with henry's in toronto and with pentax canada, no replies except emails acknowledging receipt of my emails (three weeks ago now). really miss'n it. thanks, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:59 PM   #5

ejbrusselsprout wrote:
Quote:
illuminati;

if you find a supplier would you mind to post where as i've lost mine as well. checked all over the net and with henry's in toronto and with pentax canada, no replies except emails acknowledging receipt of my emails (three weeks ago now). really miss'n it. thanks, eric
The part is called eyecup Fn and usually Henry or Mertle can order it from Pentax Canada,
Alternatively, costwise this (see the link) is not that much over that of a Pentax.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19109551
I was exploring that as I do need the magnification.\
B&H site is currently down. Otherwise I will be able to get you the price of an alternative ( Nikon DK-21M eyepiece).
Good luck.

Daniel

Daniel
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:27 AM   #6

Hi illuminati.

If you're interested in something different, I've replace the standard eyecup with one from on old Canon AE1. I've found that I like to sometimes eliminate all the extraneous light around the viewfinder, and the old "cup" design does just that. It fits a little tightly, but that just holds it in place a bit better, and if you make sure that the rubber goes into the slot surrounding the viewfinder completely, it's pretty secure. If you google "canon ae1 eyecup" , you can probably find a source for @ $5 US on ebay. I got mine at my local camera shop in one of those misc stuff drawers.

I don't usually carry my camera in a bag, so it hasn't fallen off yet, but it does protrude, so it probably would if you're constantly dragging it out of a bag -- but as I said, it's something different.

Here's a few quick snaps to give you an idea how it looks:

http://static.flickr.com/79/207754893_b11ee4a130_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/85/207754653_713e45c8e5_o.jpg

If you try to find one, just make sure it has a rectangular base and is all rubber.

Oh yeah, this is shown on a DS, if that makes a difference.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 6:26 PM   #7

daniel,

thanks, i'll have to email henry's again and try to get a response (maybe i should phone). what or who is mertle ? tried google and first few pages at least no info that looked likely. maybe local toronto store?

don't want any magnification so that one won't do.

pretty sure i checked b&h (and a few others) and they had eyecups but not the fn.

eric

Old Aug 6, 2006, 6:49 PM   #8

Sorry about my typo. It should be
http://www.merklecamera.com/home.asp?cur=cdn
Eyecup or Fn. Are they the same in function if not in shape?
Did you get your DL from a local camera store or through mail order from the US?

Daniel

ejbrusselsprout wrote:
Quote:
daniel,
to get a response (maybe i should phone). what or who is mertle ? tried google and first few pages at least no info that looked likely. maybe local toronto store?

don't want any magnification so that one won't do.

pretty sure i checked b&h (and a few others) and they had eyecups but not the fn.

eric

Old Aug 7, 2006, 7:53 AM   #9

daniel, thanks again, looks like merkle doesn't have it. i'll try phoning pentax or henry's, maybe the direct method will get results.

i got the camera (dl) from adorama in new york. they list an eyecup but not the model i need (fn) and it's out of stock anyhow.

appreciate the help. eric
Old Aug 7, 2006, 7:11 PM   #10

Pentax list an eyecup FL on there website that fits the ist DS, DS2, but they show a price of $30.00. That sounds high to me for a piece of rubber. Not sure whether it is the samefor the DL. My DL manual list and Fn, but maybe someone that has a DS can check there book and see what number they show. But maybe you can find one for less - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote