Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:28 PM   #1

This was a hard test to put together because when the photo's file size is reduced to meet the posting requirements of the Forum, the clues within the photos detailing the effectiveness of the K100D's AS feature are also shrunk or reduced.

I used the 18-55mm kit lens for this test and a slow shutter speed but still the differences can be seen but are not glaring. The images used are taken from full resolution images with no PP other than adding text and reducing the size.

I am no scientist, I am just a photographer, so please let me know what you think. Thanks!

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:04 PM   #2

There is a definate advantage, although not necessarily a huge advantage, here for the AS photo. Especially in the top right corner "Electronic Calculator" is much clearer with AS. What were the camera settings Sarah? Thanks for the pictures, the value of the K100's antishake is very interesting to me.

Thank you,

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:31 PM   #3

Quote:
I am no scientist, I am just a photographer, so please let me know what you think. Thanks!
Sarah, I hope you don't mind a "noobish observation" but you are an experienced photographer and you learned to do this the old fashioned way (without aniti-shake):G. I agree with NE but perhaps the big advantage can't be seen at this focal length where your steady hand can counter shake. From what I've read, wouldn't the more apparent advantage be at a longer focal length, say at 200mm?

Just my thoughts. Appreciate the feedback on your new k100d.

Maw Harley
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:34 PM   #4

What focal length and what exposures were used when taking those photos?

Also look at 100% crops.

In my opinion the best SR test should be done in following way. Let's assume you use kit lense at longest end, 55mm.

- Use Tv mode and take images without SR at 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8. Take reasonable amount of pictures at every shutter speed. 10 each time for example. Then count how many pictures out of 10 were sharp. That will help to eliminate accidental shakes and accidental steady shots and you'll know where's your limit for handheld shot.

- Then turn SR on and do the same. You'll find the limit of SR and what advantage it offers.

Of course, as Maw Harley suggested, it would be better to make test @200mm and try shutter speeds 1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15...

--
Edvinas

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:57 PM   #5

agree whole heartily. also it would be nice if you left the exif info on the image. these don't have any..

roy
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:14 PM   #6

Folks-

I don't disagree one iota with your comments. But there is a difference when you are "the tester" and when you are "the viewer." Thus far, just today I have spent three hours just producing requested tests: the AS test and the External Flash Test in the AV Mode Test.

That is all the time that I can devote to it right now. I have a whole new cirriculum that I have to write and put together in PowerPoint this weekend as well as cooking three meals each day.

As I noted previously,I am a photographer not a scientist. perhaps next week I will have more time, but I am sorry, that is all I can do right now.

I have also spent a chuck of time doing the Flash Thread as well, so sorry, but for now I have to keep the business going, I hope you will understand.

Believe me, I welcome anyone else's help on these items. Any volunteers, please?

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:49 PM   #7

thanks sarah
looks like i'll also be off line for a couple weeks or at best be on dialup as i'm off to phoenix tomorrow
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:25 PM   #8

Sarah,

Thanks for the time you have taken. I look forward to more of your observations when you are able.

Thanks,

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:57 PM   #9

I also want to thank you for your efforts - especially on the flash thread! The one time I tried to do a comparison of lenses, it took me all morning to get anything useable (took a ton of pictures, but in the end only used 2). It wasn't half as easy as I thought it was going to be! I really appreciate your efforts, since my hubby may be willing to spring for the new camera!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:02 AM   #10

H-

The K100D has really been a reallyfun DSLR camera to get to know. I must admit that in the time I have had it, the K100D has become my #1 camera, and I have more than a few DSLR cameras.

MT/Sarah